• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Air travel with bunnies

Thumper98

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

It seems quite possible that we will be relocating this summer to Tokyo... We are of course bringing the buns along - we only have 2 and they are between 4 - 5 years old. Lilou had dental issues in the past but has been vet free for 2 years now. Leo has bladder sludge but we are trying to manage it. Apart from that, they are healthy and cheeky and we love them to bits.

Has anyone relocated with their buns before or have taken flights (long dist) with bunnies? I know someone in the past who relocated from the US to Asia which is a very very long flight. Have already found out that Finnair is the ONLY airline in the world who will take bunnies in the cabin (fear that they will bite electrical wires). All other companies require bunnies to be stored with the other pets in the cargo area. That's a no go for us given how fragile bunnies are... no way! We are more worried about how they will take the long trip...

Would love to hear from anyone!

How long will the flight be for?

I would be worried that they would be stressed and would not eat for the whole flight, which would likely carry over afterwards as well and they may go into stasis. You would need to have a decent vet that speaks your language on standby in Japan just in case. I think you'd also have to give them gut stimulants as a precaution before and after, and if they don't eat during the flight their guts will become very painful, so painkillers too. You may also have to force-feed with recovery food.

I would also talk to your vet - they may recommend some sedatives to keep them calm. I'd also have questions about how their ears would respond to the changes in pressure and the altitude - I'm thinking here about how babies and children react to their changes during the descent. I remember it being painful as a child, and I could suck sweets and also knew how to pop my ears, but the rabbits won't be able to. There will also be a lot of very loud noises that they aren't used to.

It is good that they would be able to stay in the cabin with you, that will help.

I'm not trying to put you off as such, but it is a huge undertaking, and it is not usually recommended to take rabbits on planes. Pets at Home did so for very short flights (I believe 1-2 hours) and had a massive uproar on their hands from welfare groups (as well as for other reasons). Obviously your reasons for doing so are much much better than theirs though. If you are going to do this, I think you need to prepare very carefully and liase with both a vet here and in Japan to make sure they get the right treatment before and after the flight.

Thanks very much Nessar. The flight will be 10 hours I think, but including traveling to and from the airport + waiting, it will be more. I am fully aware that it is a risk and I know it will be very stressful. But the thought of leaving them behind is just not even acceptable. If they were poorly and very old, I would not do it, but my buns are quite healthy overall. I am reading up now online about people's experiences of air travel with rabbits. It seems quite possible, even in cargo hold, which we will not do. Will have to look into finding a rabbit savvy vet on standby in Tokyo yes.

This is all very stressful for me too and I am still hoping we will not have to go...

Personally I would seriously consider finding a suitable new home for my bunnies where I currently lived if I was moving that far away :( Rabbits are so delicate and a journey like that will be very very hard on them. My friend moved from Bath to Belgium with her bunnies but they drove her and had many stops along the way for her to exercise and stretch. If they flew, even with you in the cabin, they would be stuck in their carriers for so long, I doubt you would be without health problems at the other end.

If you did take them I'd want to get all the meds for stasis from my vet before I left, also painkillers so I was prepared at the other end should they take a turn.

Hi Thumper, did you move with your bunnies? I'm asking as it's something I might need to consider in the future and I really don't want to part with them. Thanks!

Hi Thumper, did you move with your bunnies? I'm asking as it's something I might need to consider in the future and I really don't want to part with them. Thanks!

Hi Leesa,

I had promised to get back on here and post my experience once its all over and dusted (which is now - yay!), but just havent found the time with all the relocating and settling into a new job etc. But, here's a quick answer to your question!

Yes, I have relocated with my buns and they are happy, healthy and absolutely fine! 16 hour journey including 14 hours of flight time + 1 transit. Was it stressful? YES! Both for bunnies and me. Was it worth it? YES as they are with me now and happy :)

Will try to post my experience when i finally get some free time over the xmas hols. Don't give them up and don't give up unless they are in a particularly fragile state (very old, ill etc).

Hi Leesa,

I had promised to get back on here and post my experience once its all over and dusted (which is now - yay!), but just havent found the time with all the relocating and settling into a new job etc. But, here's a quick answer to your question!

Yes, I have relocated with my buns and they are happy, healthy and absolutely fine! 16 hour journey including 14 hours of flight time + 1 transit. Was it stressful? YES! Both for bunnies and me. Was it worth it? YES as they are with me now and happy :)

Will try to post my experience when i finally get some free time over the xmas hols. Don't give them up and don't give up unless they are in a particularly fragile state (very old, ill etc).

I've only just seen this! I'm glad your bunnies managed the trip okay. We ended up leaving our bunnies with my parents as they weren't allowed into Australia, but we are back home with them now (I missed them so much!).

I don't have experience with air travel, but I did used to travel around the UK a lot with my rabbits to busy and noisy events. The important thing is to get them used to it, very gradually.

For sound, you should find some youtube clips of sounds they may experience (e.g. noisy crowds, the loud humming of an engine). When they're in their usual environment, settled and calm, start playing these noises very quietly and over time you need to gradually increase this so they get used to the loud noises and no longer associate it with danger and stress. Similar to how people play firework sounds to their dogs before bonfire night.

I'd buy the airline-approved carrier early and get them used to this too, maybe give them their daily pellets in the carrier so they are happy to go in. The next step would be lifting them up in the carrier and moving them to unfamiliar environments, then putting them in the car with the engine running (gradually increase the time spent in the car). Eventually you want to build up to taking them on long car journeys, perhaps with sounds playing or the window open for added noise.

Going very gradually will really reduce the stress on them, but that's not to say they'll be perfectly fine on the plane. Some rabbits are more sensitive than others, there's going to be a risk of stasis even in the 'preparation' stage but at least you'll be able to keep a close eye on them and get them to a vet quickly. My previous rabbits (that I did travel a lot with) were absolutely fine in the car and at events (e.g. huge pet shows, on TV sets, this was a long time ago and a long story for another time), most rabbits would lay down and breathe fast but mine just wanted to wonder around and eat and drink. These rabbits never experienced an episode of stasis, I have absolutely no doubt that they would have been fine on a flight.

I'd definitely discuss options with your vet too, I am not qualified to suggest anything but I do wonder if fluids and an appetite stimulant before the flight would help reduce the risk of stasis.

Another issue with air travel with rabbits - or any other pet - isn't only the flight itself, but the long waiting times at the airport, the noise, the stress... I flew with the rabbits once, on a 1h regional flight, and it was hell for them, even if we had consultated a vet beforehand and did everything we were instructed to do.

However, recently, we've started travelling by train, in 4-person compartiments entirely occupied by my family (wife, two kids). When we have to travel with the rabbits, we bring a cat travel box lined with straw along with us, a large blanket and small dishes for food and water, and let them run in the compartiment when we're in and the door is closed. Since they're among known people, that the noise is limited and that they can run around in conditions close to what they have at home, it's not too hard for them.

We still try not to travel with them as much as we can avoid it (usually, we give them to my parents in law, but they're not always free) but when we have to take them along, it's by train only.

I know it won't help you for a flight to Tokyo, but I hope it can be useful for everyone else.

Back