• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies raised on Wagg and more feeding questions

Katex

Warren Scout
These bunnies that we're getting have been used to eating Wagg. I know I want to feed them nuggets so is the way to do it to continue with the Wagg, and gradually replace with nuggets? How long should this take?

How much nugget food should a baby french lop eat?

Will my pair of rabbits have their own bowl each or will they just naturally eat from whichever bowl they come to first?

Will they over feed, i.e. if I put food out for two, could one bunny be greedy and eat the lot or will they self regulate?

Vegetables - our old rabbit used to eat whatever was put in front of him, so every single vegetable scrap went his way. He got at least a large double handful of whatever veggie scraps we were eating that night, including lettuce and carrot (which I know isn't recommended). Clearly I need to be more careful with these two baby buns, but how much can I give them vegetable wise? There's five people in our family and so quite a lot of veggie scraps, i.e. broccoli, cauli etc. TBH I was looking forward to having a "living bin" again so all the veggie scraps could go there!

Any other food advice?

When I changed mine over from p@h nuggest to excel when I got him I did it over 2 weeks - I just increased the new food a little bit each day and decreased the old food until he was completely on excel :) I think 2 weeks was about as quick as I'd try and change food, he just only had enough for that long

Up until 6 months I gave Ferg pretty a decent amount of pellets, probably 2.5 tablespoons per day as they're growing then - but still give unlimited hay! :) He definitely does not self regulate his eating, he will eat until everything is gone but that's not such a problem with babies they need the extra food!

Veg wise I think most people don't introduce veg til they're around 12 weeks - and then only in tiny amounts and do one veg at a time incase one veg doesn't agree with their tummies (then you can just not feed that) :) there are some really good lists out there with rabbit safe veg which are really really useful!

I honestly think the hardest part of feeding mine as a baby was getting him to eat hay, he doesn't like any from p@h and eventually decided he'd eat a nice cheap one so it might be worth buying a few different ones as a nice mix! :)

It's best not to change their food while so young but you could start to add a few pellets in with their Wagg so they can get used to them. When they are a bit older you can then start to wean them off Wagg if that is what you intend to do.

I would give them a bowlful of food morning and night and see how much they eat and if they still seem to be hungry so you can adjust accordingly. They will prefer to share a bowl and don't worry about one rabbit eating more than the other. They should eat at about the same speed. Later on you ma want to scatter their food, a lot of us do this so they have to search for it.

I really don't think you can overfeed baby rabbits, French Lops have a lot of growing to do so no need to worry about them eating too much, they will just eat what they need, unlike older bunnies.

If you k now they have already eaten veg then you can give them small pieces of Spring Greens, dark green cabbage, a little Kale , grass and Dandelions but if they haven't had these foods before it is best to wait until they are about 12 weeks old and start by giving them tiny pieces one veg at a time.

Obviously hay is the all important food moreso as they get older, Readigrass is a favourite also.:)

Ah thank you - really helpful replies. I don't know if they have had veg yet so will need to ask. I have several types of hay already in stock :) and will just see which one they eat most.

I'll start by mixing in a tiny amount of pellets with the Wagg and very gradually increase it over a period of weeks

Tonibun when you say a bowlful, do you mean a heaped bowl (our rabbit bowls are about the size of a small human cereal bowl) or a flat bowl?

I'm not sure I stressed this much about feeding my own babies!

I was thinking of a rabbit bowl - you could ask the breeder how much they' ve been giving the buns. That will give you a guideline to work from. You might feel they need more. I have 12 week old babies myself and they can eat quite a lot and they aren't French Lops. As you get to know them you will know their needs. :)

Back