• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous bunny

emilyxz

New Kit
I have recently rehomed a rescue bun, his previous owner didn't want him and he was left in a shed on his own for a year with no attention. He understandably very nervous. I've had him for 3 days now and he is living indoors with free roam of the kitchen and living room. He has been sat his litter tray the whole time and I can't even coax him out with veg. He lets me stroke him but he ducks his head and gets a bit shaky.

I have tried leaving food, toys, water, treats and even a cosy bunny bed just outside the litter tray to coax him out and none of these have worked :(

I had to put a bowl of veg soaked in water into his litter tray just so that I know he has eaten and got some fluid. He wouldn't eat it while I was there but did over night.

Does anyone have any tips to help bring him round?

Last edited:
Maybe a cardboard box he could sit in and feel safe and you could put his water in there with him? I think just give him time.

Oh poor little chap :(

To be honest - you can't expect much in the first few weeks after having spent a year with no attention. He's obviously very scared and unsure of his surroundings - and the only thing that will work is loads of patience. I would set things up in his crate - and then leave them - don't move things around too much initially - he needs to have stability and the same surroundings for a while. Keep on giving him the chance to come out and explore - he eventually will - but he will do it when he thinks it's safe. Buns are curious little things - and his curiosity will eventually overcome his fear. And yes - a cardboard box would be ideal for him to hide away in:thumb:

When we bring a new bun home -we start off by gently stroking their heads whilst they are eating their pellets/vegies/treats - but only as much as they will tolerate. They very quickly learn that we have no intention of hurting them and start enjoying their head strokes.

Don't forget - buns are prey animals and your new bunny has never had the chance to learn to trust...as far as he's concerned right now, you probably want to eat him. So it's up to you to be patient and earn his trust by being gentle and letting him come to you at his own pace.

Personally I wouldn't really try and stroke or touch him that much at the moment, instead I'd sit on the floor with him and read a book/watch tv or whatever while he just gets used to you and the fact that you are there. Bunnies are naturally curious so hopefully as he gets used to you and realises you aren't a threat he will come over to you of his own accord. Or even if he doesn't, if he progresses to just lying around/relaxing/flopping in your company you will know that he is relaxed around you.

My two lie on my bed with me, sometimes they just flop out but often they will wake up and come for a nosy to see what I'm up to. Levi will climb all over me and he likes to groom my slippers :)

I agree with what the others have said, however I would also shut him in a smaller area until Bunny is happy to explore the small area. As having a big area straight away can be very overwhelming and set them back.

Well done you taking them on :)

Yes, cover will be quite important so you might find adding several boxes so he can go between will encourage him a bit more. Also what's the flooring? Slippy floors like lino/tile/laminate can be off putting for some bunnies as they don't feel they can run quick so a cheap rug or carpet tiles over the area may help.

You might find he's being a bit braver at night when you're not there - try leaving food spread out and see how much disappears overnight ;)

I'd also try and ignore him for now, having you around but not showing any particular interest in him is a great way to help them relax. Then once he's a bit more settled you can work on actual interactions. It's a big change for him so all the new noises/smells etc. will be a little overwhelming to start.

Back