• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage in the fridge?

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Sorry if this sounds dumb but will forage keep in the fridge for a few days like vegetables or will it just go floppy and horrible?

It would be better for my ego if I didn't have to go out foraging and looking like a weirdo every day! :lol:

I keep freshly picked forage in a plastic bag in the fridge for several days. I think it might go a bit floppy if it's not in a bag but the bunnies won't care.

In fact, my fridge currently has hawthorn, cleavers and willow in it :lol: - freshly picked today following my quick run with the dogs :thumb:.

It would be better for my ego if I didn't have to go out foraging and looking like a weirdo every day! :lol:

:lol: I was bent double in the long grass today, picking dandelions for the piggies and chatting away to my dogs, who were mooching around nearby. When I stood up, two people walked past giving me a strange look :oops::oops:. Good job they'd not seen me stripping a hawthorn two minutes earlier :lol:.

I keep mine outside out of the sun. I wasn't sure about this, rain etc. but then my dad pointed out that it grows outside and gets rained on so nothing bad would happen to it!

Everything that I know I can pick (only a few things) is very nearby really so I could go out and pick fresh everyday in theory but it would make life easier if I could stock up for a few days!

I keep freshly picked forage in a plastic bag in the fridge for several days. I think it might go a bit floppy if it's not in a bag but the bunnies won't care.

In fact, my fridge currently has hawthorn, cleavers and willow in it :lol: - freshly picked today following my quick run with the dogs :thumb:.

I'm just back, too, and enough for tomorrow safely in fridge! I'm just very careful that I don't get any grass mixed in with it in case it starts to ferment like mowings.

I'm just back, too, and enough for tomorrow safely in fridge! I'm just very careful that I don't get any grass mixed in with it in case it starts to ferment like mowings.

It doesn't ferment if it's long grass and kept cold in the fridge. I keep it for several days in the fridge for the piggies in winter.

It doesn't ferment if it's long grass and kept cold in the fridge. I keep it for several days in the fridge for the piggies in winter.

Thank you - yes it is lovely long grass, so will know for next time.

I had a successful forage. I got dandelions, plantain, apple leaves, rose leaves and brambles. Molly loved it and there is plenty left for tomorrow too! I put some photos up in the photo bit, take a look!

Big forage today so I'll need to clear a bit of fridge. Plantain; hawthorn; dandelion; and bramble.

I also picked a little bit of sticky willy which has gone down really well!

I saw plenty of nettle and clover too and there are apple and rose leaves out. All these leaves are safe aren't they?

It's so relaxing; I'm really enjoying it now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back