• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding/Bonded Pair Chasing. Playing or Aggression?

Hello

I have a pair of brothers.
Merlin who I have had since 7weeks who is a lovely bunny affectionate lots of licks but won't be picked up.l But is fairly grumpy if he doesn't get his own way! Then his brother Zapp who I got 2 months ago that someone else couldn't look after anymore who is not grumpy at all more a happy go lucky, just used to human attention now also won't be picked up. Both neutered one in Nov last year, one beginning of feb this year.

After 2 failed attempts in the last 6weeks or so to bond them (one lasting 2 weeks and a fight broke out from no where you may have seen my post) I decided enough was enough and went for it this time.

On the 21st march (so just over 2weeks ago now) I stressed them with a car ride. Put them in the bath for 24hours until there was no humping.
After 24hours they went from the bathtub to a dog crate neither had been in before ( I bought to be their new home together) every time they almost scuffled I stressed them put them back etc.
After eating sleeping generally living with in eyeshot of the crate for 2 weeks they seemed fine in there together. Laying together, sleeping, flopping, grooming, sharing litter tray fine etc.

On Friday I opened the crate and blocked off the spare room for them (the most neutral room in the house because they have both been in here at some point after wiping the whole thing with white vinegar just to make sure). They have been amazing and had no trouble enjoying the space hopping around still grooming and sleeping with each other etc etc can leave them alone in the day with no trouble, still sleeping near the cage tho as if we do get any trouble it's always at night around 4 - 6am but have had 4 nights with no trouble whatever.

Today however Merlin has taken to chasing Zapp and when they used to fight before Zapp if Merlin chased him and tried to bite him would turn around and bite him back straight away therefore the fight....

Now Merlin will chase Zapp with his tail up still but Zapp will just run away not turn to him, this was for about a min as I was in the garden when I herd crazy bunny running around noises so i legged it back in to see Merlin chasing him. Normally a fight normally would break out straight away when Merlin chased him before cus Zapp wouldn't stand for it. So this is why I didn't know if it was play or aggression.

To look at because Merlin has his tail up I see it as aggression but when I stop Merlin, spray him with water and tell him no he runs over to Zapp washes him and they lay down and sleep together, which makes me think that maybe it's play as there is no grudge and he goes to groom him straight away.....

This has happened 2ce today before 1.30 this afternoon.

I would like to say Zapp is the dominate one humping or he did at the start and demands grooms to which Merlin agrees and will groom him etc but he also grooms Merlin, not normally when Merlin asks for it but just when he feels like it just in case people see it as a dominance thing I thought I should give the information.

I hope you can help as I don't wanna punish him for play but Zapp did seem pretty scared so I jumped in and stopped it.

Thanks for reading and hope you reply I could use the help!

- Vicky

Sounds like you've done everything right so far, well done. It sounds as though they are just testing the new hierachy since one is chasing and the other isn't retaliating. I don't think they'd immediately groom etc if there was anyvreal animosity. In fact, grooming is a bonding mechanism. Who does most of the grooming? A dominant bunny will lower its head for the submissive bunny to groom it (it's almost demanding to be groomed).

I'd say you were doing things right. If the chasing continues, it might be worth just reducing their space slightly again, or making sure you've got lots of boxes, low foot stools, tunnels etc for one bunny to escape temporarily from the other.

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

Zapp is the dominate one. He lowers his head for Merlin to wash and Merlin agrees and grooms him when he does him. Merlin occasionally tries to lower his head to demand a groom but Zapp ignores him and only grooms him when he doesn't ask or after Merlin has groomed him to return the favor....

Which is why I don't understand why Zapp being the dominate one is the one running away... but we shall soon see. We have just ordered a new bed so tonnes of boxes for them it is lol.

Any more help from anyone would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Back