• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Major moulting!!!

Sammyp

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit concerned about my young female, Poppy.

She is around 10 months old and was rescued from our animal shelter. She was well handled as a baby, but has always been very nervous!!

Anyway, I had her spayed in March in the hope that her aggressive behaviour and nesting behaviour would stop and also in the hope she might come out of her shell a bit.

When she's out of her hutch she allows me to touch her, but in her hutch she backs away as if terrified I'm going to hurt her :cry:

Her hutch is covered in fur.... Constantly! She is moulting a fair but though, but I can't get close enough to groom her!!
I'm not sure if this amount of fur loss is normal as non of my other 3 have ever been this bad!- or if she is still pulling her fur out (ie nesting)??

I don't know what to do to, she an indoor bunny and the house gets insanely furry! I don't mind but I'm getting worried this amount of fur isn't normal?? :(
She's a lop cross and her head and top half is lovely and tidy but her rear is really fuzzy!!:shock:

Any advice would be great!

she might still be abit hormonal if only recently spayed, can take a month or so to calm down , if it looks like she is plucking fur out and nesting? mine are going through a mad moult to, but luckily they let me groom them daily

I go in with a hair roller (for clothes) and roll my girls over. They normally back away from stroking, but they liked the roller. I think they appreciated that it was thinning out the loose hair! Might be worth a try and might feel less 'hand is going to grab me'?

I use a lint roller too but only use it on really loose bits. My 2 hate being brushed !!

They can lose quite a bit , looks so much you would think they would be bald!!!!

Fee x

Thank you everyone! I was just a bit worried! My others aren't like her and I was worried she was pulling it out but I've never seen her do it so she must just be moulting!

At least I know she's not the only one! :D xxx

Back