• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

major attitudes

bunnybannanas

Mama Doe
I really need help!! Myself and my flatmate got 2 bunnies last year. Before we were able to get them spayed they had sproglets.

Everything was fine when we got the daddy 'done' but after the mum got spayed the atmosphere changed. At first she had to be by herself as she had mega anger issues. Now her and the dad get on fine (although they fight occasionally) and can be in the same cage.

We kept the 2 baby bunnies (both girls) and neither of them are spayed. We're now keeping mum and dad in one cage and the 2 girls separate both from the parents and each other as everyone seems to hate each other. I don't want to have to give them away but i don't know what to do and it's so cruel keeping all of them when they just fight with each other.

Does anyone have any solutions?!

Lots of love

Desperate bunny lover

Without knowing much about your situation I would hazard a guess that these problems could be caused by the following issues:

- Neither pairs have enough space
- The 'baby' girls are not spayed
- Although two spayed females can get along, you are more likely to have a happy co-habiting pair which is a neutered male and spayed female
- The unspayed 'babies' are more hormonal etc which is causing the other two to be aggressive

Last edited:
Without knowing much about your situation I would hazard a guess that these problems could be caused by the following issues:

- Neither pairs have enough space
- The 'baby' girls are not spayed
- Although two spayed females can get along, you are more likely to have a happy co-habiting pair which is a neutered male and spayed female
- The unspayed 'babies' are more hormonal etc which is causing the other two to be aggressive

The flat is quite big and they got along fine at first. Neither of the babies are spayed so it may be that.

Will it calm down when they get spayed do you think?! The fmum seemed to get more aggressive when she was spayed.

I have not heard of a female becoming more aggressive after spaying but perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject might be able to provide an explanation :)

What are your setups like? How much space do they have?

The girls may calm down after spaying, but you may have to consider your options if it doesn't. Two girls together is not the most compatible of matches - there are people on this forum who have two spayed girls together who get along fine, but a neutered male and spayed female are generally the most compatible.

When you say mum and dad fight occasionally - can you elaborate i.e. have they ever drawn blood etc?

I have not heard of a female becoming more aggressive after spaying but perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject might be able to provide an explanation :)

What are your setups like? How much space do they have?

The girls may calm down after spaying, but you may have to consider your options if it doesn't. Two girls together is not the most compatible of matches - there are people on this forum who have two spayed girls together who get along fine, but a neutered male and spayed female are generally the most compatible.

When you say mum and dad fight occasionally - can you elaborate i.e. have they ever drawn blood etc?

It's open plan. We have 2 big cages which were one big cage but we have now separated them. They are never in the cages aside from bedtime and when we aren't in although i have been leaving them out recently.

No one has ever drawn blood but i fear it's only a matter of time. It's mainly chasing and nipping.

Back