• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage!

Clare-uk

Mama Doe
So it's that minefield again! What's safe & what's not, wish I was confident like some of you here. I've found what I think is plantain, some sticky weed & a big tuft of what looks like grasses, hopefully I can upload the pics & any comments are appreciated :)

ynuqe9en.jpg

pa5ebu9e.jpg

mapypuqy.jpg

Yup, plantain, grass, cleavers :thumb:

ETA. They're all safe. I've been finding lots of greenfly on the cleavers at the moment though so you may want to give it a good look over before feeding. I haven't bothered with it since seeing the greenfly as I have plenty of other stuff to feed.

Last edited:
Would you mind if I posted some pics up on this thread too? I have a few plants in my garden, which I think are ok for buns, but need to be 100% sure.

Thanks for the reply :thumb: I may give a little bit & see what they think. The stickies have been planted all over my garden by my cats! Last year they kept coming home covered in those little balls lol still I don't mind if my buns can have it :)

Post away Vegan, it's all about learning what's good for our bunnies :)

Thanks for the reply :thumb: I may give a little bit & see what they think. The stickies have been planted all over my garden by my cats! Last year they kept coming home covered in those little balls lol still I don't mind if my buns can have it :)

Post away Vegan, it's all about learning what's good for our bunnies :)

Mine go mad for sticky weed and plantain. Plantain is very good for them and high in fibre. :thumb: Watching buns eat sticky weed is hilarious because it sticks to their whiskers and fur around their mouth. :lol:

Ok..so I have these three plants:

Is this a type of thistle?

The second plant:

This one I'm worried is a poisonous plant. If it is I will pull it up so nobody decides to nibble it.

Thank you in advance. :)

I recognise a couple of them but don't know what they are. Pretty sure I have a couple of them in the garden so hope someone knows

Ok..so I have these three plants:

Is this a type of thistle?

The second plant:

This one I'm worried is a poisonous plant. If it is I will pull it up so nobody decides to nibble it.

Thank you in advance. :)

The first and third plant both look like smooth sow thistle. As with dandelions, the leaves can vary between plants depending on location and environment they grow in, as well as the stage of development. I would feed both those leaves to my bunny. The second plant type looks like the traditional prickly thistle and thus not to be given to bunny.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

The first and third plant both look like smooth sow thistle. As with dandelions, the leaves can vary between plants depending on location and environment they grow in, as well as the stage of development. I would feed both those leaves to my bunny. The second plant type looks like the traditional prickly thistle and thus not to be given to bunny.

Ah thank you. I have been trying to find sow thistle for a while, so I'm glad I have.

Are normal thistles poisonous or just not suitable because of the prickles?

I've still not fed buns the grass in my original post - pic no.2. Im just a little unsure what it is, it's leaves are hairy on both sides with visible lines all the way along the leaves with a central crease. Does anyone know what type of grass this is? Oh & when you pick it the smell reminds me of pampas grass. My cat seems to like it though as he's been stealing it off me - though I think that's more to do with jealousy as he thinks it's for the buns!

Thanks VB, it's just that hairy bit that is bothering me! Still wish I could name that grass then I'd feel better :)

Ah thank you. I have been trying to find sow thistle for a while, so I'm glad I have.

Are normal thistles poisonous or just not suitable because of the prickles?

Normal thistles just have no nutritional value to bunnies, so i wouldnt bother picking the prickly thing! :)

Back