• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

science selective

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi just wondered those of you who feed science selective to your buns have you had any trouble I started mine on it 2 months ago and in the 2 months my nethie has had 2 really off days really uncomfortable as if he has belly ache. These days were about 4 weeks apart and only lasted about 6 hrs then he was fine, there was a large pile of runny poo but I don't know if that was from him or his elderly house mate who is prone to dhiarria do you think the science selective could b too rich for him, he was on harrington optimum before this thanks for any advice xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had problems with it with both of my two - now, Charlie is on SS Mature and Poppy is on Oxbow. It made Poppy particularly ill (with bouts of stasis frequently). I suppose it's all down to the individual bun, but I was a bit put off it by both of mine having problems on it.

Last edited:
I dont know as about the diahreah but I just wanted to say my two nethie dwarfs are doing just great on science selective pellets and ive narrowed how much they get down even more so they have just enough to cover the bottom of the bowl, fed at 9am and gone by 12 and then they munch on hay for the rest of they day and they love it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

When you say bouts of stasis what we're these like scatter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well in Poppy's case, she would start by just not being able to sit comfortably (if you know what I mean) and generally just being quiet and when I would take her to the vet, he would say her tum had slowed down and we now have to keep metoclopramide at home and ring vets when needed. She would sometimes have to stay in to get regular meds, etc. and I sometimes have to syringe feed her. Charlie was pretty similar, although Poppy's have been more regular.

I switched mine onto SS about 6 weeks ago and Bailey is is fantastic on it (he used to have mucky bum problems when he was on Excel even if he only had 5g a day or less), Ashley is currently having a bit of tum trouble but I expect it's more down to her dental issues, although I do wonder if she does better on Excel. Would be a pain having them on different food though, will just have to see how she gets on.

Mine have a mix of ss and burgess excell. They waaaay prefer the excell. No health probs.

If it only started when you changed pellets I would slowly change back to see if the problem goes away. You could also try not feeding any pellets to see if that helps

My Spenser has SS and seems to do well on it. You could try changing back to see if this helps, or also try mixing it with their originsl pellets.

Back