Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby wildie and guinea pig in same cage!! Help!

Warren Scout

Default Baby wildie and guinea pig in same cage!! Help!

Need info to pass on please

A work colleague today told me her friend's cat brought a baby wildie in, seems uninjured, didn't know what else to do with it so put it in the cage with her guinea pig and she thinks it's gonna be ok!

I don't know enough about wildies (or guinea pigs) to argue the case, but for starters anyone who puts a bunny and a piggie together sure as heck shouldn't be in charge of a wild bun IMO?

Please help what should I tell her? Her friend is adamant that because it's only a baby it will be ok and will be tame enough to keep as a pet? No idea on set up or her bunny experience, I just have a feeling it won't be a happy ending

Rabbits & guinea pigs should never be kept together, a bunnies kick can kill a piggy not to mention they need separate diets. A wildie should be taken to a wildlife rescue who will be able to correctly care for bun & release, though these are often over filled already. I don't think it will be tame, more scared & jumpy but hopefully someone who has experience will reply.

Can't imagine why anyone would put a wild rabbit in with a piggy anyway!

Warren Scout

Thanks for that, I know about the different diets, didn't know about the deadly kick, maybe that might be a starting point...hopefully her guinea pig at risk is enough to make her think twice.
    No idea on wildlife rescues round here, let alone bunny savvy ones. Will google...

I agree - wildlife rescue.
    I found my local one through this site:
    http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/eastmids.php

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by esupi View Post
    I agree - wildlife rescue.
    I found my local one through this site:
    http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/eastmids.php
    Thankyou x

Oh dear, domestic buns can be hard enough to care for, but a wildie? I'd love one personally, but I couldn't handle one so no. The guinea pig & wildie need separating immediately. I bet the wildie has never seen a Guinea pig before so could be frightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dexter, Badger & Blackavar - binkying free in bunny heaven since 11.12.11, 29.4.14 and 1.8.15. We will meet again one day, until then, I'll carry you in my heart.

Also remembering Peppermint, Stella, Keira & Cookie - bunnies before RU.

Rabbits also carry carry bordatella which can be fatal to guinea pigs x
    Mum to five lovely bunnies & two gorgeous doggies
    Sadly missing Benji, Peanut Butter, Bonnie, Cupcake, Noodles, Pud, Ted, Rufus, Albie and Pickle

Visit our etsy for dog bandanas! www.etsy.com/shop/ChloeSuzanneDesigns

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by chloemurray View Post
    Rabbits also carry carry bordatella which can be fatal to guinea pigs x
    Ah thankyou for this too. I doubt very much that she will listen, sounds like she's made her mind up all is good but if I build the case that it's putting her guinea pig at risk hopefully it will be taken seriously.

Mama Doe

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to take an animal from the wild and make a pet of it, so if all else fails, I'd phone the RSPCA or contact a local wildlife rescue yourself for advice on what to do.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie42 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to take an animal from the wild and make a pet of it, so if all else fails, I'd phone the RSPCA or contact a local wildlife rescue yourself for advice on what to do.
    It is, but I think it might depend on the circumstances i.e. if someone deliberately broke open a den to take a baby then yes, but to find one stranded on the roadside, probably not. I wouldn't like for anyone on here to use that as a defence in Court however ...

Definitely contact a local wildlife centre or sanctuary near you if you can, or if all else fails there's always the RSPCA but I'd try them as a last resort.

My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)