• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing on rugs

mabels mum

Warren Scout
So, we've had Arthur and Mabel home since Sunday after being bonded at a local rescue. In their pen I have lino on the floor and then some cotton bath mats and vet bed for traction and to provide different surfaces for their feet. They both use the litter tray although Arthur has been scattering some poops around. Yesterday someone had weed on the vet bed, I suspected Arthur. Today there was wee on one of the cotton mats and I took it out and put a fresh piece of vet bed in and straight away I caught him weeing on it.

How long is this likely to go on for? Is it just him being territorial and do you think it will settle down soon or will he just be a bunny who pees on rugs and other soft materials? I had Mabel on her own before he came along so I know he is probably just marking the area as his own and letting her know he's here. The pen is brand new though and so is everything in it.

Is there a way to discourage him from doing this and what's the best thing to use to clean it up? I've read somewhere about white vinegar. Do you dilute it with water and if so how many parts vinegar to water?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for reading and all answers welcome.

I think it's just a boy bunny thing... it might stop once he's used to his area!
Fergie is a little b*gger for weeing on anything that is soft - towels, beds, bedding, cushions, pillows, blankets you name it he'll wee on it :lol:

Ferg seems to stop weeing on something once it smells of rabbit - if he wees on my bed a few times he stops doing it until I change the bedding, then the cycle starts all over again! I used white vinegar in his hutch to stop him weeing everywhere are re-litter train him which worked quite well but not sure about it working on soft furnishings

Hopefully he'll stop soon! :)

There is just something about rugs and mats...

Nearly every house bun I've had has done this. My boy is pretty much perfect about his litter box except he still feels like he should pee on the mat in front of the sink or stove, and leave me a few droppings there over night.

Not every night, but fairly regular.

Had another boy years ago that decided the "Welcome" mat was his own personal wee pad!

My solution is to use thick cotton mats that easily go in the washer.

Thanks both for your replies. The lady in my local pet shop said to wash or rub off the wee marks using soda crystals or white vinegar. She said he might not mark it as much if treated with these instead of machine washing with powder. It's very early days so i'm hoping once they are fully used to each other it might settle down.

Back