• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

American Timothy Hay

NJK

Warren Scout
Hi! I have noticed that Dust Free Hay do American Timothy Hay which is more expensive than the timothyhay website I get mine from. I'm just curious as to why it's more expensive. Is the american version better?

probably the cost to ship it over here maybe? i have tried the american timothy from dfh and the timothy from timothyhay.co.uk, and the one from timothyhay.co.uk is much better in my opinion. :wave:

People say American timothy hay is better, something to do with the climate I think. Like I think it's supposed to be best if grown in the western US but I could be wrong about that.

ETA: According to this https://www.naturalrabbitfood.com/timothy-hay-for-rabbits/ "Western timothy hay is often a better quality hay because it's natural green color is retained by the quick sun-curing process that occurs in the arid (dry) western part of the USA."

Nothing can compete with Oxbow timothy hay once piggies have had a taste for it. So my latest pigs haven't had a sniff of it! :lol:

Nothing can compete with Oxbow timothy hay once piggies have had a taste for it. So my latest pigs haven't had a sniff of it! :lol:

Meanie :lol:. Mine are currently troughing bags of the stuff at vast expense :shock:. At least the bunnies appreciate timothyhay.co.uk. Lovely stuff and much better value :thumb:.

I get mine from local farms and it has a very strong fragrance to it. As soon as it's in their hutch they go straight for it and then we won't see them for hours. I once filled it so full they couldn't get inside, all I could see was a bunny body with the head buried inside the hay tugging and eating it. Eventually he fell asleep with his head buried in the hay, lol. It's also really cheap, just £2 a bag and they easily go through a bag and a half within a week. As for this American stuff I dunno, why bother buying something overseas for something that's been born in the UK. That's just going a bit too far unless you can't get any decent quality hay from a local pet shop and don't have any farms nearby you can easily get to.

Back