• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what plants to grow that rabbits enjoy?

Katex

Warren Scout
Our bunny enclosure is going to be on decking and although the buns will have supervised access to my grass, I don't particularly want them nibbling the rest of my lovely garden :) to save us all from hassle, I thought I'd grow them some plants that they can feast on to their heart's content in the enclosure.

What plants are easy and quick to grow that rabbits will enjoy? I'd obviously be growing them in pots and so would like them to come back quickly and more robust. I have a number of pots with existing plants that I may be prepared to sacrifice to the buns too ……..

Thanks

Most herbs would be OK but sadly I think any plant actually in the enclosure is likely to be eaten to the point of extinction! You could grow dandelions for them, you can get the seeds on ebay.

Yes I suspect you're right about the plants being eaten to the point of extinction! I might rotate pots with some outside the enclosure, or I've seen a fab setup on Pinterest where herbs are grown on top of the hutch which might be better. I didn't realize you could buy dandelion seeds on eBay, that's a nice idea :)

I'm thinking of growing some plants especially for the buns, but I'm thinking of growing them in trough planters along the edges of the run but on the outside so they can nibble the bits that grow through the bars, and then maybe have a bigger nibble when they free range, I think the plants will last longer this way.
Not sure what to grow yet, but thinking of lavender and rosemary and mint, I think they are quite robust. Maybe a miniature rose. And maybe some flowering plants for summer like marigolds and nastershams (excuse spelling :oops:)

You can get lots of wild seed mixes if you search on ebay for something like rabbit seed mix. Other good choices are strawberries, chamomile (very hardy) and wild pansies.

I'm going to order some of those seed mixes, my MIL has given me some leftover compost today so I'll use that for planters and get cracking on growing the seeds before buns arrive and stagger the planters so there's always a supply of flowers/grass. I'm going to plant about 6 planters and combined with grass and rotated in and out of the enclosure, there should be quite a bit of nibbly plants to keep them going!

Great idea about only letting some leaves stick through into the hutch, they are bound to last longer that way!

Back