• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to forum and new to rabbits..

Cronus70

New Kit
Hello all, my names Mark and i'm an alcoh....sorry, wrong forum.

Anyho, After our lovely dog passed away our young children decided they would like some rabbits (as a friend of mine has one) and as i have had no experience with keeping them i refused until fairly recently.

I was bewitched by some lovely bunnies while i was being nosey in a brand new Pets at Home and decided to drag the family down there, about an hour later we are walking out with bunnies and home/food/bedding/toys etc etc.
That was about 2 weeks ago now and it's been an enjoyable experience, the bunnies are still babies at 12 and half weeks old and if i remember correctly (and with my shocking memory that's not always a given) we have a Dwarf Lop and a Netherlands Dwarf??
They are both 'bonded' males and seem very happy together, obviously when they are old enough we will get them neutered.
I will try and get some picks uploaded soon ;)

This forum has been a good source of info, especially on diets and whats best so a big thumbs up.

:lol::lol::lol: Hi Mark & welcome to the bunny forum. Well done on also finding an AA forum too :p :lol:

You will find this place invaluable & very addictive very quickly...... Bunnies are also addictive! I joined last July to research my psycho bunny's temperament..... I now have 4 very spoilt bunnies who have their own room! And psycho bunny aka Slipper is a total sweetheart now. Unless I'm between him and dinner of course :roll:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Heres some pics as promised....

First up is Snowy, owned and named by my eldest (10)

p6nub.jpg

g8n6.jpg

v1su.jpg

ekd0.jpg

And here's Chomper, owned and named by my youngest (8) who also makes a guest appearance.

r78s.jpg

my98.jpg

eng9.jpg

po4f.jpg

u8oh.jpg

Hope you like.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Heres some pics as promised....

First up is Snowy, owned and named by my eldest (10)

p6nub.jpg

g8n6.jpg

v1su.jpg

ekd0.jpg

And here's Chomper, owned and named by my youngest (8) who also makes a guest appearance.

r78s.jpg

my98.jpg

eng9.jpg

po4f.jpg

u8oh.jpg

Hope you like.

Aww what beautiful buns :love:
I'm also new to buns, have learnt so much from this forum, and it is definitely addictive :lol:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

*faints* they're soooo cute! Two of my favourite coloured buns right there!! :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful bunnies! I don't think either of them are netherland dwarfs. They both look like medium-sized crossbreeds to me though time will tell as they grow!

Also I would advise that you get them both neutered as soon as you can, I.e the earliest your vet will neuter them, as males can get very aggressive when they hit puberty and it can be a lot of work repairing a damaged bond (I speak from experience! ). Also just in case you don't know, rabbits are classed as an exotic pet so it's worth trying to find an exotic vet near you. Most vets, although they may be very good with cats and dogs, tend to have very limited rabbit knowledge.

It's worth having a good look through the diet and housing threads for some good ideas. The most important tjing to know about rabbit ownership is that 80% of their diet should be hay.

Hiya! :wave: you're in the right place here! The forum is addictive so watch out!
Those buns are absolutely gorgeous, and some great photos by the way...may I ask what camera you use? I'm thinking of investing you see!

Welcome to the forum! You have lovely bunnies and hope you can find lots of helpful advise here. I agree with others when it comes to neutering them as soon as they are old enough, as you don't want them to start fighting when hormones kick in. It can be tricky to re-bond them after this stage.

Hi welcome! I don't think they're nethies they look like dwarf lops to me :)

ETA snowy looks like he has helicopter ears when one's up and one is down. My dwarf lop had those but they tend to drop when they grow up a bit
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Beautiful bunnies! I don't think either of them are netherland dwarfs. They both look like medium-sized crossbreeds to me though time will tell as they grow!

Also I would advise that you get them both neutered as soon as you can, I.e the earliest your vet will neuter them, as males can get very aggressive when they hit puberty and it can be a lot of work repairing a damaged bond (I speak from experience! ). Also just in case you don't know, rabbits are classed as an exotic pet so it's worth trying to find an exotic vet near you. Most vets, although they may be very good with cats and dogs, tend to have very limited rabbit knowledge.

It's worth having a good look through the diet and housing threads for some good ideas. The most important tjing to know about rabbit ownership is that 80% of their diet should be hay.

I agree with this completely, I would say they are dwarf lops or crossbreeds with a lot of dwarf lop in them.

I also agree with the early neutering, and I say that as someone who brought home 2 loved up baby boy buns... Then puberty hit and so did WW3 and even after neutering they were not rebondable, they hated each other with a passion in fact, so now I have 4 bunnies so each one has a partner! :shock: :oops:

It might be worth getting them registered at a bunny savvy vet straight away and then you can get their opinion on when they should be neutered, plus they can have their vacs.

They are stunning lads :love::love::love:

(the whole parents saying no and then seein a bun they loved and dragging me down the pet shop to get him was how I got my first bunny too :p)

Thanks for the comments and advice guys, they are appreciated and taken on board.
Been a busy weekend what with it being Easter so not had chance to get on till now :)

Hiya! :wave: you're in the right place here! The forum is addictive so watch out!
Those buns are absolutely gorgeous, and some great photos by the way...may I ask what camera you use? I'm thinking of investing you see!

The camera is my 'old' Nikon D80 using a 55-200mm lens, it does take some great shots in for a novice like me...

Here's a couple more shots i took quickly as they were chilling around the house.

pw6o.jpg

946h.jpg

Oh my. :shock: They are gorgeous! :love:

Welcome to the forum. :thumb: Well done on taking the time to research bunnies. They are a lot more difficult to look after than you think, but make the most amazing companions. :love:

Back