• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch treatment

<3jackyboy<3

Young Bun
hello! :)
After Doing much research and receiving only contrasting answers, I thought I should contact a direct source who would give me dependable information.
I will be making refurbishments on my rabbit's hutch soon, and wish to treat the hutch using a safe treatment/wood paint/stainer
Could you please give me a recommended brand name, as well as the name of the product itself.
Thank you very much for your time
I have contacted RWAF, and recieved the following reply:

Happily I keep such important information on file and had asked Richard Saunders about exactly this in January 2013. He told me:

>>Ronseal: The main toxicity issue with this is the fumes. Those are a serious concern. Once dried, sanded flush with the surface, I'd imagine it to be fairly safe, as it says nothing about ingestion on the enclosed details. also, once smooth and flush with wood, it should, unless its on an edge, be difficult for a rabbit to chew.

More difficult to be sure about the cuprinol. As usual, no ingredients info online that I can find. I would say no, as it contains antifungal chemicals, and some of these can be toxic to rabbits, and have caused deaths in rhino.<<

:?:
I am rather confused, as I have heard so many contrasting answers!
Please help! :p
X

Mine have 3 coats of cuprinol inside and out. They have chewed a small bit on the inside but have suffered no illness. The floor is also covered in vinyl which they haven't chewed - yet! My runs have also been coated with the same and again have been nibbled in places.

I think the problem is they keep changing the ingredients because of EU guidelines. My latest lot of cuprinol was bought and used last year and I will be re-coating everything again this year.

Back