• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding with humans?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
What are your experiences of bonding with your own rabbits from when you first got them?

I have only had Milo and Finn for a week so i'm obviously not expecting them to love me straight away :lol: but i'm just curious as to how long it took some of your bunnies to feel comfortable around you?

At the minute I am moving my bunnies from the hutch in my utility to an indoor cage in our living room for a few hours on an evening so they can get used to seeing and hearing us and to watch us go about our daily activities. I am then sitting by the cage for a while just watching TV or reading a book just to get them used to being close to me.

I think last night there was a little breakthrough? Both Milo and Finn hid in the box I had put in the indoor cage with a cosy blanket and would not come out at first. I continued to just sit there and after half an hour or so I began to see noses peeking out, sniffing and then running back inside. After maybe an hour Milo slowly came out of the box slowly followed by Finn, for the rest of the night they sat and munched on hay near the open door of the cage. Whilst they are still not totally sure I was happy that they felt safe enough to eat and even stretch out and rest in the cage so close to me. :D

As rabbits are prey animals they can be quite timid and frightened of us humans. A week is such a short time especially as they are still very young. Don't try to force them as they will become more confident in their own time :)

Awwww. Sounds like you just need to keep doing more of the same. Mine are all outdoor rabbits now (eight of 'em) so I dont hang out with them as much as I used to. Only three of them allow me to stroke them, and only one of them seems to acually like it :lol:

All three of mine are happy to be stroked and will tolerate being picked up and brushed when it suits them, so I'm really lucky.

I make sure I do lots of hand feeding with them each day and try to spend a couple of hours in the run with them.

They all give cute eskimo kisses and climb in my lap or on my feet and up my legs for attention. Cinna climbs on my back too when I'm cleaning out the run.

Mine get picked up every day (mainly to move them) and they have always liked cuddles. At the moment they like spending time on my bed with me, they flop out together but also love to come and investigate me, they climb all over me and periscope to get close to my face. Daisy gives me Eskimo kissed too :) the less attention I pay them the more curious they seem to be. They also like grooming my fluffy slippers. Levi is a licky bun and it took him about 3 weeks from when I got him to when he first licked me :)

I lie on the floor watching tv and let mine.investigate and climb all over me

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Back