• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help and advice if possible please

HelsHere

New Kit
Hi, my name is Helen and I'm pretty new to looking after rabbits. Until very recently we had two rabbits, Tango and Sprinter. Both males, both neutered, bonded, living together outdoors although we would bring them inside during particularly cold weather. tango was the boss of the friendship and Sprinter very submissive and I guess he relied on Tango very much, sort of to hide behind. Unfortunately Tango (Large lop) passed away a few weeks ago.

Because we didn't want Sprinter To be lonely, we decided to bring him indoors to our indoor hutch/cage where he has the run of the sun lounge and he really seems to be ok. On nice days I like to put him in the outdoor hutch, but he gets so stressed out being moved.

I just hope I'm doing the right thing. I couldn't bare him to be outdoors all the time on his own, when indoors he has struck up a bit of a friendship with our 8 month old kitten, although I wouldn't leave them alone for Sprinters sake! :)

Ant advise would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Have you thought about getting him a new (neutered female) companion? You would obviously need to bond them - lots of advice here on bonding, or a rescue may bond them for you.

Have you thought about getting him a new (neutered female) companion? You would obviously need to bond them - lots of advice here on bonding, or a rescue may bond them for you.
Well, we have 3 cats and Sprinter, so I wouldn't really like to go down that road.

Rabbits are happiest in pairs, especially those that have previously enjoyed company of their own kind, so I would really consider adopting him a friend if you can

Hi, my name is Helen and I'm pretty new to looking after rabbits. Until very recently we had two rabbits, Tango and Sprinter. Both males, both neutered, bonded, living together outdoors although we would bring them inside during particularly cold weather. tango was the boss of the friendship and Sprinter very submissive and I guess he relied on Tango very much, sort of to hide behind. Unfortunately Tango (Large lop) passed away a few weeks ago.

Because we didn't want Sprinter To be lonely, we decided to bring him indoors to our indoor hutch/cage where he has the run of the sun lounge and he really seems to be ok. On nice days I like to put him in the outdoor hutch, but he gets so stressed out being moved.

I just hope I'm doing the right thing. I couldn't bare him to be outdoors all the time on his own, when indoors he has struck up a bit of a friendship with our 8 month old kitten, although I wouldn't leave them alone for Sprinters sake! :)

Ant advise would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Rabbits are territorial animals and don't like being moved from one area to another. Some tolerate it more than others. It sounds like the best option would be to find him a female friend, possibly neutered or have one neutered yourself.

Back