• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel quite bad :(

tashp90

Warren Veteran
Although my girls get plenty of hay, veggies, herbs, and pellets, I don't have the confidence to go foraging for things for them.
I've looked at all the pictures on the foraging threads, but a lot of it seems to look the same, and I'm afraid of picking the wrong stuff :(! Plus I don't even know where in Taunton I could even go foraging! Is there anything I could grow indoors?! I'm already growing my own grass, and herbs.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Can start growing your own Clover and dandelion!!they are good growers and defo easy to identify.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Go Blackberry picking when the berries are ready later this year and cut off some branches from the bush. It grows and spreads a lot so it won't hurt it to lose a bit.

You can find them along country lanes and tow paths of canals mostly.
The buns will eat them including the thorns.

Mine love it, I always cut from waist height or above so that it's safe from dog/fox wee ;)

you could try galens garden. i just recently got some brambles from there, and some other things aswell. :wave:

I wouldn't worry! You grow herbs for them, which a lot of people don't do.
I go foraging because I have access to an organic farm and it is lovely and peaceful to walk round there, but there are some things I don't pick because I'm not sure of their identity. What about buying some apple wood from Fluffers? Rabbits generally love to nibble on it - I know mine certainly do.

Don't feel bad. I would never trust myself to do it even if someone told me. I get my foragy type things from BARC open days if they have it.

Can start growing your own Clover and dandelion!!they are good growers and defo easy to identify.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk
I've managed to pick some dandelions for them in passing, and always feel the need to wash them just in case so growing could be good.

Go Blackberry picking when the berries are ready later this year and cut off some branches from the bush. It grows and spreads a lot so it won't hurt it to lose a bit.

You can find them along country lanes and tow paths of canals mostly.
The buns will eat them including the thorns.

Mine love it, I always cut from waist height or above so that it's safe from dog/fox wee ;)
This might be a bit outta here, but are blackberries whimberries? I'm from the valleys, and my nan always used to make whimberry pie, and I thought they were blackberries that she used but never though to ask :S

you could try galens garden. i just recently got some brambles from there, and some other things aswell. :wave:
What's galens garden?

I wouldn't worry! You grow herbs for them, which a lot of people don't do.
I go foraging because I have access to an organic farm and it is lovely and peaceful to walk round there, but there are some things I don't pick because I'm not sure of their identity. What about buying some apple wood from Fluffers? Rabbits generally love to nibble on it - I know mine certainly do.
I grow herbs because it works out cheaper to buy the pots, than to buy the herbs every week :lol:
I could look for an organic farm! I live in Somerset, surely there's one down here :lol:
I've given them wood, and sticks, but they aren't that interested at the moment :roll:

Remember that foraging threads tend to have photos of more obscure things on them. I tend to stick to brambles, goosegrass, dandelions, plantain and dead nettles which is all quite easily identifiable. The only issue is telling dead nettle apart from stinging nettle but once it's in flower that quite easy, stinging nettles don't flower ;)

What's galens garden?

I grow herbs because it works out cheaper to buy the pots, than to buy the herbs every week :lol:
I could look for an organic farm! I live in Somerset, surely there's one down here :lol:
I've given them wood, and sticks, but they aren't that interested at the moment :roll:

They won't be interested in 'ordinary' wood - mine won't touch it. Apple wood, however, is a real winner with most rabbits - good for their teeth as well.

I know LOADS of places in taunton to go foraging Tash!!

If you go up the a38 by the Creech crossroads, follow it up until you get near that new housing estate on the right and go down the road with the canal, there are TONS of bramble bushes, hawthorn bushes, dandelions (although could be dog pee situation on the ground as lots of dog walkers go down there...)

Also, if you go down towards the pets at home estate, go down the a358 towards minehead, then the roundabout by the Peugeot garage, turn left, follow it down through all the town bits etc and theres a big wooded area on the right, by the newsagents, almost opposite where the Nuffield hospital is :wave:

I know LOADS of places in taunton to go foraging Tash!!

If you go up the a38 by the Creech crossroads, follow it up until you get near that new housing estate on the right and go down the road with the canal, there are TONS of bramble bushes, hawthorn bushes, dandelions (although could be dog pee situation on the ground as lots of dog walkers go down there...)

Also, if you go down towards the pets at home estate, go down the a358 towards minehead, then the roundabout by the Peugeot garage, turn left, follow it down through all the town bits etc and theres a big wooded area on the right, by the newsagents, almost opposite where the Nuffield hospital is :wave:

Thanks :D I may take a wander seeing as its nice and sunny :)
I know loads of places back in Wales, but I've never really had any reason to go wandering in Taunton until now :lol:

I just stick to things I know. Dandelions, hawthorn (from my hedge) and then I get apple sticks from Fluffers, and I also buy the stuff from The Hay Experts. :)

Back