• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits just don't get along

Fini

New Kit
Hi,

I've got two rabbits - a male and a female who are both around a year old and have been spayed/ neutered.

I've been trying for the best part of six months to get them to get along, but it just doesn't seem to be working. Here's what I've been doing:

Their cages are in the same room - they often seem to watch the other. When I put them together I use one of two rooms; both of which they aren't allowed in to outside bonding time. When I put them in the room together they're fine for the first 20 or so minutes. They'll wonder around, occasionally brushing past each other etc. They'll then begin to get techy with each other; facing off and running towards each other quickly. At about the half-hour mark they'll start fighting. Every time I break up a fight the next one will be more vicious until I give up for the day and separate them.

I've tried putting food and drink in the room. This usually accelerates the confrontation.

I've tried taking them out on a long car ride together. During the car ride they were cuddling and I thought we had a breakthrough. Back home they cuddled for a little but and then drifted apart - half an hour later they were fighting again!

I've tried putting them next to each other and stroking them. They don't seem to mind this, but it doesn't seem to solve anything.

I'll try bonding them a couple of times a week typically. Though sometimes I'll leave it a few weeks.

Usually it's the female that's attacking the male, but it can be the other way around.

I'm just getting the impression that, whilst they're comfortable with each other they don't get along. So I'm stuck! Is it time to give up?

There are some bonding stickies you could refer to for general guidelines on bonding.

I think the usual advice is to set up a fairly small area and it must be somewhere neutral (somewhere neither rabbit has been before or somewhere that you've neutralised using white vinegar) so that neither rabbit has any claim to it. You then put them in and let them sort it out between them. Some fur pulling and chasing is normal, they're establishing who's boss, so you have to leave them to it a little.

You could always get in touch with rescues local to you and see if they would be willing to do the bonding for you for a fee.

Back