• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help re-bonding bunnies after injury

Louise23

New Kit
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was hoping I could get some advice? A few weeks ago one of my bunnies broke her back leg and had to have it amputated, she recovered quickly and has adapted really well, so much so she is already bouncing around the garden for longer spells everyday. The problem I have though is trying to re-bond her with her sister. During the recovery period I would bring her cage into the garden while her sister was out of the run getting some exercise and they were very keen to sniff each other through the bars. However, although they can run around the garden in relative peace, Cookie (the amputee) will run away if Fudge gets too close and sometimes Fudge chases and attacks her. I know Fudge is being territorial I just hope they get over it soon as I hate having to sleep them separately and it means Cookie doesn't get to go out in the run during the day.

I was just hoping other people may have had similar experiences and could offer some hope or advise?

Thanks
Louise

I would try bonding from scratch in a small neutral area. (say 4ftx2ft?)
As you say, Fudge is just defending her territory so it's highly unlikely to work doing it in the garden.

I would try bonding from scratch in a small neutral area. (say 4ftx2ft?)
As you say, Fudge is just defending her territory so it's highly unlikely to work doing it in the garden.

Thanks, I'll give it a go, although you haven't seen the size of my garden ;-)

Thanks, I'll give it a go, although you haven't seen the size of my garden ;-)

Its not so much the size as the rabbit claiming it as 'theirs'.

Hope the bonding goes smoothly. There are some great stickies on bonding on here which may be useful to read.

Its not so much the size as the rabbit claiming it as 'theirs'.

Hope the bonding goes smoothly. There are some great stickies on bonding on here which may be useful to read.

Thanks, and thanks for the tip. I've been searching the forum for tips and ideas, just trying to find similar situations and read about some happy endings.

Like Tulsi says, it's more to do with the fact it's established territory.
I'm bonding tomorrow (eep!) and am doing it in my spare room as it's the only place none of the rabbits have been before.

Back