• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit turning aggressive. How to proceed?

dutchbunny

Mama Doe
My friend has a really cute, used to be vety tame, house rabbit.
Friend came to visit and her child slammed on the cage, hit the bunny and squirted it with water (I know, I got livid reading it the first time too).

Ever since the bunny attacks her kids which is really upsetting to them. Is there a way to help win the bunnies trust again as this is one well loved little bit of fluff albeit not the setup we normally preach but I'm already working on that.

My friend has a really cute, used to be vety tame, house rabbit.
Friend came to visit and her child slammed on the cage, hit the bunny and squirted it with water (I know, I got livid reading it the first time too).

Ever since the bunny attacks her kids which is really upsetting to them. Is there a way to help win the bunnies trust again as this is one well loved little bit of fluff albeit not the setup we normally preach but I'm already working on that.

Beyond words poor bunny - it may take some time as expected to earn this rabbits trust and quite rightly so

Sounds like fear aggression. Basically they have to prove to the poor thing that they aren't a threat.

Keeping quiet and still and ignoring bunny would be the best way forward I think, but getting kids to do that may be tricky. The normal 'lying on the floor' trick would help if repeated a lot.

Also, squealing and moving away when attacked will make it worse, so trying to not put themselves in the situation in the first place is important, as if they are kids I doubt they could help doing this if bitten.

Back