• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Death of one of a bonded pair...

xsuzimoox

New Kit
Hello

Sadly one of my rabbits, Mei, passed away suddenly today (the vet wasn't sure why but thought it was definitely something to do with her nervous system as she was uncoordinated and ended up fitting just before she went). Her and my male rabbit, Wicket, (both were neutered rescue buns) were very happy together, and now I'm very worried about him being alone. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how soon to find him a new companion? I don't want to introduce a new bunny too soon because I imagine he will be quite confused for a little while, but don't want him to be on his own for too long. I want to make sure I do what's best for him.

I should also mention that they were both house bunnies so he does at least have us for company when we are not out at work.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can give.

Hello, sorry you have lost your bunny. No advice really on how soon to get him a new friend but im sure someone will have been in the same situation with some advice.

I'm so sorry you lost Mei :cry: I don't have any experience of this, but I think it's very much down to the individual bunny from what I have read, if Wicket seems to be lost and lonely then maybe do it sooner rather than later. Maybe the rescue your bunnies came from might be able to give advice, and also let you know if they have any suitable companions for him :thumb:

I started looking the next day after I lost my Rupert. I could tell Sapphire was unhappy alone and with looking for a rescue bun, homechecking and arranging time for bonding it was well over 3 weeks for her on her own. So I'm glad I started looking sooner rather than later as she is much happier now she has her new pal :)

I'm sorry for your loss xxx

I'm in the same situation, we lost our girl Charlie 2 weeks ago now, we've been camping on the sofa bed so we can be in the lounge with Oscar ever since, giving him as much attention as possible and trying to be at home as much as possible, he's been very clingy and needing lots of strokes. After 2 weeks he's perked up a little bit which is a relief! We found a girl within a week but she's quarantining in the bedroom while her vaccinations settle in and she gets neutered so by the time they meet it will have been around a month which iv read is a good amount of time, I'd guess it's best not to be too quick but not to take too long either, good luck!

xxx

Sorry for your loss...:(

I bonded Willow within a fortnight as she really wasnt happy alone. Its worked out well..

I hope you manage to sort something out. Send wee bun noserubs for being a sad boy. I hope he has a new friend soon

Fee x

Sorry for the loss of your bunny.

We got Nancy for Will 2 weeks after his sister Poppy died. It felt too soon for me, but Will is a 'bun's bunny' not a 'humans bunny' plus my rabbits are outside, so he needed a new friend sooner rather than later. We went back to the original rescue for a 'speed dating'morning. The rescues advice and the advice on here made for a reasonably stress free slow bonding method.

Back