• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with bonding Twiggy and Diana

xlizx

New Kit
I brought the new bun Diana home today, her and twiggy are in their bonding pen. When we first put them in, they kind of ignored each other and seemed indifferent to each other, then they started sniffing each other. After quite a bit of sniffing twiggy started mounting her, only lasting a few seconds each time, at first she just ignored it/accepted it, then she started running away and has thumped a few times. The mounting had died down and now they are eating hay and just doing their own thing, Is this good/bad? is there anything I should be doing to help or shall I just leave them to it? There has been no fighting or anything like that, but they have not yet groomed each other. I should add that they have been together just under two hours.

sounds very promising. Keep a good eye on them though because I find if they do fight then it makes it harder to bond as they seem to remember previous fights. One thing I find helps is when they go nose to nose stroke both their heads at the same time as it makes them trust each other and relax around each other

I have my seat positioned so I can see them at all times, just encase :). He seems more interested in her, then she is of him. He's started to sniff her again, and she keeps trying to get away and thump every time he goes to her. Would it we worth me taking them for a car ride, or just leaving them to it?

I don't rate the car ride thing if they are ok then just stay with them and keep and eye on them. Don't leave them though and don't worry about parting them if you need to go out and having lots of 'dates' before you keep them together permanently. I think the humping will calm down he's probably just a little 'excited'. My female is very prude and she does the same thing when one of her husbands (she has two) tries to hump her she runs away and grunts and thumps!

OK thank you, I'll just leave them and forget the car ride, was getting worried about the thumping, but I guess it normal, twiggy's doesn't do it so I've never heard it before. They now sitting together, faces nearly touching so its looking good. Twiggy is also a very fussy eater and refuses to touch fresh greens but after seeing her eating them he's happily been munching them which is great :D

I wouldn't worry about the thumping....the only time to worry is if they put their tails up and start trying to bite and kick each other. I think she is just warning him that she doesn't like it. Hopefully he will get the message! Also don't let them do a '69'er. I had two that did this and the female bit the males foreskin off! It was a vet visit and stitches job :shock:

He seems to have calmed down now, but I'll watch out for biting and kicking. Oh god, that sounds painful, poor bun!

I hope so, still no sign of grooming though, they don't seem to be interacting at the moment either, I'm probably just being impatient though

yes give them time two of my fosters both boys never groom each other so maybe some pairs groom each other more than others. It may come later when they are fully confident with each other.

Grooming can take months, sometimes it never happens :wave:

It sounds very good so far, be positive!

It's only been a few hours, the fact that they are interacting in positive ways is great!

Ah ok, I didn't realise. They seem really relaxed in each others company and there has been no aggression what so ever, they are currently stretched out having a rest, not together but next to each other, and when I walk passed she goes to him and puts her head in his fur, it looks like she is going to him for protection or security as she doesn't know me or my OH yet. Its all looking really positive so far :D

Back