• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 un-neutered females and a neutered male: Can they be housed together?

pilley

New Kit
I have two un-neutered sisters who are around 18 months old. Recently a friend of mine is giving up her male rabbit whose 14 weeks old. I will get him neutered, but I was wondering if it is possible to house all 3 together and if so how would I go about it?

all three would need to be neutered before bonding ideally. the females for health reasons aswell as for hormonal behaviour. after they have all been neutered/spayed then there is no reason why you couldn't try bonding them at that point :wave:

Females are prone to ovarian cancer if not speyed, so please definitely get them to a vets for this asap.

Please also be advised that you should wait 4-8 weeks before introducing after these operations as the hormones will still be present.

There are many reasons to neuter and spey animals, almost all of them positive so please get them all done :)

Thanks, I had no idea that females are prone to ovarian cancer, I'm big on people neutering their animals so I will definitely do all three if that's the way forward. The sisters are from the RSPCA so I was hoping they might already have been done, but they didn't neuter them because they were girls.

Thanks, I had no idea that females are prone to ovarian cancer, I'm big on people neutering their animals so I will definitely do all three if that's the way forward. The sisters are from the RSPCA so I was hoping they might already have been done, but they didn't neuter them because they were girls.

I didn't have a clue either, until the lovely people on here educated me :)

Some rescues will neuter and spey, some won't... I suppose it really depends on the rescue as I know some RSPCAs will spey and neuter!

Silly really, as rabbits can become pregnant very young, adding to the rescues so I think all rescues should spey and neuter! It may be an expense upfront, however it may help with the over breeding issues... Sigh.

If possible, research a good vet first, as some vets find rabbits quite difficult! Pop into the Health section and post a new thread along the lines of "Looking for rabbit savvy vet in * area".

Best of luck and RUers LOVE bunny pictures... Hint hint!

Back