• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with bonding!

lila2014

New Kit
Lila is adorable and sweet but I need help with her getting to trust me. I've only had her a day so I expect things to get much better and I was ready for the running away for the first few days. When I'm letting her play on my bed she does come to me without me having to go to her, she has bumped my hand a few times, I have fed her pellets out of my hand and I just talk to her. Other then what I'm doing is there anything else? Oh and she isn't in a cage(well okay she sort of is). There is a big space between my bed and The wall so I have two ends cornered off so she won't be loose in my room. So if I'm watching tv or playing on my phone I put my hand over the side and she will come and sniff it. She has put her paws on The side of my bed already and let me put her on my bed no problem!

Is what I'm doing enough or is there anything else?

Have you tried lying on the floor and letting her climb on you?
Maybe put some treats on your back if she needs encouragement.
My bunnies became avid climbers in our first few weeks together :)
It lets them feel as though they're in charge. (Which they actually kind of are :lol:)

Just keep doing what you're doing :) It might take a few weeks, might take a few months or longer, but she'll eventually realise you are the bringer of food and hay so she'll want you even more then!
She may turn humpy, buzzy etc when her hormones kick in, maybe pee on your bed (we have a waterproof mattress cover that fits over the duvet and pillows, I got the king size one for a double bed) but spaying will stop that :)

Thanks both of you :D I will do the floor thing tonight! And I'm currently trying to find a vet that will spay her. I'm hoping my dogs vet will be able to do it! I need to ask a rescue where they get there buns fixed.

Okay so other then trying to eat my shirt today she is doing better :D I need to trim her nails and I'm not looking forward to that,lol. It took her a sec to recognize who I was(I just got home from school) but she did come lay by me then got up pooped and hopped away,lol.

Nail trimming isn't the easiest thing to do. You may need to enlist a helper to sit her on their lap while you carefully trim 1 nail at a time.

Only the brave try ;) and I believe it's done by wrapping the bun up securely in a bath towel.

I always take mine to the vet :lol:

Thanks both of you :D I will do the floor thing tonight! And I'm currently trying to find a vet that will spay her. I'm hoping my dogs vet will be able to do it! I need to ask a rescue where they get there buns fixed.

The internet is very good for searching for Rabbit/Exotic experienced vets or create a post on this forum asking if anyone can recommend any in your area :D

The internet is very good for searching for Rabbit/Exotic experienced vets or create a post on this forum asking if anyone can recommend any in your area :D

Tue closest one too me is 2 hours away it seems. I'm in US and most in here seem to be from UK(?)

Back