• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

William II ~ May 18th, 2007 - April 5th, 2014

William

Wise Old Thumper
I don’t normally post in here, just makes me feel worse talking about it, but I posted a thread for Will’s brother 6 years ago so it just seems right to for Will as well.

Will died yesterday from an infected penis :cry: I assume one of the ducks must have bit it. He showed no signs of being sick until 2 days before he died. I’m so upset, he should have turned 7 next month and I thought he’d live for several more years. It all feels very surreal right now. He was always so healthy until this happened. And his poor mate, Dill, is no doubt upset. She and Will were inseparable.

Some pics of him and Dill (Dill has ‘wet feather’ so that’s why her feather condition is bad) - as you can see he loved playing in mud puddles and bathing in them. Silly boy. And sadly I don’t think I ever got a video of it but he also loved to jump up and down and stomp his feet in mud puddles like a little kid. I’ve never seen another duck do that before, it was hilarious.

Oh William I'm so sorry to see this. Such a handsome duckie he was too. :( ((((((Huge hugs))))))))
Waddle free Will II.

Please give Dill a conforting cuddle from me. I hope she'll be okay. :cry: xxxxxxx

Thanks guys :love:

Dill's doing ok, but seems subdued. She occasionally quacks for no reason and yesterday she kept biting my arm for some reason. I hope she understands what happened, I forgot to let her grieve over his body for a few hours like I did with her first mate, William I :( I'm afraid now she thinks I just took him away...but she did know that he was sick, so hopefully she understands...

I'm giving her a lot of her favorite things - green beans, boiled egg, cat food etc to make her feel better. And she's been hanging out more with my other pekin but they don't have a close bond, nor is she close to my muscovies and mallard.
She's pretty selective about who she bonds to, or maybe she needs to go through a particular bonding process. When William I died she seemed depressed so I brought his brother William II indoors and bonded them in my bedroom. It took a month before she'd even let him get near her, she forced him to stay on the opposite side of the room from her, but then they became inseparable. So I might end up bonding her that way to a new duck/drake.

Good luck with the bonding if you decide that's what's best for Dill. :D

It's a shame you lost William II though, do ducks live quite a while?

Good luck with the bonding if you decide that's what's best for Dill. :D

It's a shame you lost William II though, do ducks live quite a while?

Thanks :) Probably won't be very soon for a few reasons but I think I will definitely bond her. She seems lonely without Will even though she's with other ducks. It's weird for me, so it must be really weird for her to have him at her side 24/7 for 7 years and then suddenly he's gone :(

Yeah they can live up to 20 years (I think the record is 27 years) but I think that's very rare, 12-15 yrs is more common. Some people say more like 10-12 yrs but I think if well cared for and protected from predators 10 yrs is a little bit young. At least I hope...Dill will be 8 in less than a month...I don't want to consider her dying of old age in 2 yrs.:(

Awwwww soooo cute:( sorry for your loss:(
I have to point out that I'm born on the 18th may...my best friend passed away at the age of 7 on April the 5th 2007..
Sorry I thought it was creepy

Xx beautiful duck:love: RIP
xx

Back