• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an Adult and Baby Bun

Flowerlady

Young Bun
Hi All,
I have George a three year old seal point mini lop who I neutered and over the past few weeks tried to bond him with a doe of a similar age which was unsuccessful as both wanted to be the dominate one. We gave the female back to her original owner and now have an 8 week old sable mini lop doe, what is the best way to introduce them? I was thinking adjoining pens for a few hours a day for the first few weeks until the get used to each others scent.
Thanks

Adjoining pens could work but I wouldn't attempt a bond until the female has been spayed and you leave it 6 weeks for her hormones to completely go then bonding

agree with the above, i wouldnt attempt to bond until 6-8 weeks after the female has been spayed. if you bond them now they may well fall out when her hormones kick in and it could ruin your chances of rebonding

If you want to bond them now, you need to do it asap before she reaches puberty. Then you will need to keep a close eye on things, as she may become domineering and aggressive once she hits puberty, causing their bond to break. Some vets will neuter from 14 weeks +, so that would be an option, but you may have a job finding one. You will need to get her neutered as soon as possible.

Alternatively, you can wait until she is neutered, wait a few weeks for hormones to die down and then bond them.

edit: Bonding with a young doe is not always the best option, even though it is often an easy bond. My two bonded when my doe was just 18 weeks old (neutered) and she was young and meek so accepted his dominance. As she got older and more confident, she pushed for dominance, resulting in bickering/chasing/biting and eventually them needing rebonding at one point. She is now the dominant one in the pair.

Last edited:
Back