• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT! Possible aggression?!

tashp90

Warren Veteran
I was just lying in bed, and I could hear Maizie and Daisy in the next room. It sounded like they were running laps. I've come into the room, and it looks as though they are fighting.
I don't really know how to explain what I witnessed, so just wondering if someone can tell me what a "fight" would look like, as opposed to playing.
Its the first time I've known them to be like this, and they are currently both lying under the sofa.

Just a reminder that they are 10 week old unspayed sisters, and as you'll see from any of my photos, they're usually so loving and cuddly towards each other

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

There has also been some fur pulling, I've found two tufts (looks like Maizies fur) and she has some loose on her still.
Since I've been sat in the room, they have calmed down a lot. Even sat in the same litter box. I really hope they were playing, it would break.my heart to have to separate them

Last edited:
Sounds like the start of aggression caused by their hormones coming in coupled with spring fever:cry: I think you will have to watch them like a hawk and you may have to separate them until they are spayed, and their hormones have died down, 6 weeks or so after their op, and then try to rebond them.

Have they recently had their space expanded though, or been moved space, that could be a contributory factor. First time my Apricot and Ginger went in their run together at about that age they did some chasing and fur pulling, thankfully it subsided and I was able to keep them together.

Sounds like the start of aggression caused by their hormones coming in coupled with spring fever:cry: I think you will have to watch them like a hawk and you may have to separate them until they are spayed, and their hormones have died down, 6 weeks or so after their op, and then try to rebond them.

Yeh this.

Millie and Maddie are sisters (7 months old now). They were spayed by the RSPCA before I got them so I don't know about pre spay behaviour. They do occasionally chase each other around the sofa especially the last few weeks and sometimes Maddie can look a bit over amorous (she's the bossy one and usually does the chasing) but I've never seen them pull fur. It usually only goes on for a couple of minutes and then they settle down again.

Last edited:

Have they recently had their space expanded though, or been moved space, that could be a contributory factor. First time my Apricot and Ginger went in their run together at about that age they did some chasing and fur pulling, thankfully it subsided and I was able to keep them together.

Thank you. Their hormones were my first thought. Their space hasn't been extended at all. I sat in the room with them, and after a minute they stopped and we're back to their usual selves. I'd say all in all of went on for about 5 minutes. I will definitely be keeping an eye on them, and if it happens again, or certainly gets worse then I will separate them.
The fur pulling wasn't much at all, and I checked them both over, and they were both fine.

Yeh this.

Millie and Maddie are sisters (7 months old now). They were spayed by the RSPCA before I got them so I don't know about pre spay behaviour. They do occasionally chase each other around the sofa but I've never seen them pull fur.

I didn't witness them pulling fur, it was mostly chasing. I suspect there was fur pulling as I've never found fur before :/

Hopefull that'll be a one off, I ant imagine separating them, especially knowing that they feel the need to sleep cuddled up etc :(! Wish I could get them spayed now!)

If they are 10 weeks old I would check that they really are girls and not boys. Sisters usually get on but one is always the dominant one.

I'm going to double check this afternoon during their lazy time, although they are registered as girls with the vet, and they didn't correct me either time that we were there.
It's the first I've seen anything like it with them. It could be dominance, but I have no idea who came out on top. They are quite happily cuddling up together again today :roll:

I didn't witness them pulling fur, it was mostly chasing. I suspect there was fur pulling as I've never found fur before :/

Hopefull that'll be a one off, I ant imagine separating them, especially knowing that they feel the need to sleep cuddled up etc :(! Wish I could get them spayed now!)

It could be just them starting to moult. Indoor bunnies moult almost constantly to some extent I think.

Millie and Maddie were only just over 3 months old when they were spayed by RSPCA but most vets wait until 6 months I think. I think they were done so early so they could be rehomed but one had a few problems because she was so young and they waited to do the other for a few weeks. Maddie is definitely the boss because she's more confident but they both groom each other :)

It could be just them starting to moult. Indoor bunnies moult almost constantly to some extent I think.

Millie and Maddie were only just over 3 months old when they were spayed by RSPCA but most vets wait until 6 months I think. I think they were done so early so they could be rehomed but one had a few problems because she was so young and they waited to do the other for a few weeks. Maddie is definitely the boss because she's more confident but they both groom each other :)

Hopefully it's moulting, however it could have started at a less scary time :lol:

My vet said she'd spay at around 5 months depending upon their development.

I think Daisy is possibly slightly more dominant, but there's definitely no obvious signs of it.

Thanks for your help, I'm hoping last night was a one off, but I've got a plan in place in case they need to be seoarated!

More inclined to think they're moulting seeing as I just had a cuddle from Maizie and am now covered in her fur :roll:

Many many young rabbits start to fight once their hormones come in so it may be advisable to separate until you can get them spayed/recovered for a few weeks as rebonding rabbits who have had a serious fight is not always possible.

I realise that yours havent fallen out too badly as yet but do watch carefully.

My Frosty and Snowflake started having little tiffs and eventually had a full blown locked on fight. (I put them back together too soon after they were neutered). I had to separate them completely for a few months (no sight or smell of each other even) before rebonding them and adding to does at the same time (sisters from a rescue, already spayed and bonded).

It is well worth separating for a short time to give them a chance of a long term bond.

If it happens again I will definitely separate them. I don't want to run the risk of them majority falling out.
They're absolutely fine today, but I will be keeping a close eye on them!
Luckily I'm with them almost 24/7 so I won't miss anything :lol:

Back