• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My 2 females seem to both want to be top bunny?

Hi,i have 2 females (sisters) they will be 2 next month, both neutered. They are outdoor rabbits with a 5x5 summer house and hutch inside with large outdoor run. They became aggressive when they were about 6 months old, we had them neutered and hoped it would sort the issues out.

Generally they are ok, but we still have some issues and wondering if there was anything i could do to help.

Lottie is always putting her head under Rosie's face to be groomed. Rosie will groom for a few seconds and turn. Lottie will follow Rosie and sometimes tries to nibble at Rosies back if not putting her head under Rosie and getting in her face.
Rosie chases Lottie and has pulled clumps of fur out, when its feeding time Rosie will chase Lottie away until food is down and then isnt bothered about Lottie but goes crazy whilst im sorting food out. (i have 2 bowls for food).

Rosie can be sat quietly and lottie will come over and scratch on Rosies back to move her. 80% of the time Rosie is grooming Lottie but sometimes i do see it the other way.

They both lay next to each other at times, whilst othertimes face back to each other.

Are they ok like this? Is this normal?

It sounds pretty normal and as they aren't hurting one another I wouldn't worry. Sisters aren't always as close as male/female bonds and females are usually the bossy ones so that is why you notice they both want to be top bun. They sound like they have a lovely home. Do you give them lots of hay which is good for teeth and tummies?

I agree it sounds normal. My two girls (sisters) came already neutered from the rescue and always had a bit of a chase/hair pull around food. They are now bonded to two brothers and the boss (one of the brothers) goes mad, racing about and chasing the others away when I appear with the food!!

Thank you :) they both have lots of hay 24/7,both litter trained and as far as im aware sleep together. Good to know their actions are ok. My previous bunnies were a neutered male and female and they were inseperable, until a fox got them both within 6 weeks of each other :(

Before these 2 were neutered they were very agressive,but got them done immediatley. Was just worried but so pleased with your responses so a huge thank you!

Hubby said that earlier they were both humping each other?!?

One answer maybe would be to get a neutered buck who will hopefully keep them in order, but it might just be the time of year and it will subside gradually. If you did get a male rabbit you would have to bond them on neutral territory.

Humping is a sign of dominance too. Our collie often humps our (very submissive) labrador.

Back