• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging out/trio bonding

Domiles

New Kit
Hazel is my elderly rabbit left lonely by the death of her female companion. For company, I took two bonded, neutered boys (Thomas and William) from the RSPCA and introduced them to Hazel (separated by wire for two months first). Now they are all in together and have a 6x4 shed and a 9 metre run. Problem is that William has bonded with Hazel and left Thomas all on his own. There is no violence but generally Hazel and William have the shed and Thomas lives alone in a large hutch at the other end of the run. The only 'trouble' I've seen is William half-heartedly chasing Thomas, maybe to keep him away from Hazel, but it is rare.
As I say, no trouble, but I feel Thomas is lonely - and the whole point of the shed was so they could ALL benefit from it!
Should I get a girlfriend for Thomas? Or will I run the risk of creating more problems?
ALSO - Thomas has dug under the run and escaped into the garden a few times so I'm wondering if he wants out in order to find a companion ?? The other two do not dig at all.
Just to be clear once again, there is no violence and the digging is certainly not as a result of persecution.
Any advice to relieve Thomas's loneliness gratefully received, thank you.
Dom

I would be inclined to get Thomas a friend - it's sad that he's being left out. Perhaps you could get a neutered female from a Rescue and try bonding the 4. You would have to do it on neutral ground though. Good luck.

i sympathise.. I really do.. I have a wee girly and bonded her with two existing closely bonded brothers who ended up fighting each other over her...

I took the terrible decision to return the boys to the rescue. They remained closer without her so it was a good decision in the end..

I hope you manage to find a solution as it is horrible to see one lonely bun sitting ..

good luck
fee x

I would get him a doe from a rescue.

I would also look at putting mesh on the bottom of the run. If he can dig out a fox can dig in.

Back