• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a new spayed doe to a newly neutered buck

Laurachook

New Kit
Hi, my newly adopted buck was neutered today and I can't wait to get him a partner. How long do I have to wait before I introduce a spayed doe?

4 weeks will give him time to heal physically and MOST of the hormones in his system to settle down.

The female should also be 4-5 weeks past spay to make sure she's healed up right etc.

In case they fight, it is best if they are totally healed from surgery.

The doe needs to have been spayed at least 2 weeks for her wound to heal before introducing her to the buck. IF she is very feisty it could take longer for her to become less hormonal. But if she is a sweet rabbit then it should work after a couple of weeks. I usually wait for much longer than 2 weeks but it isn't always possible to keep 2 rabbits separately. I wouldn't let them meet through bars, as this makes them aggressive and when you do introduce them it has to be in a neutral area so there is no territorial behaviour. Good luck.

Back