• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting the Cage?

amymc

New Kit
I have two bunnies named Luna and Cassie. Today I got Cassie out of the cage for a little cuddle and play and put her back in. A little while alter I did the same with Luna, however the second I took Luna out of the cage Cassie began biting the bars - hard! I opened the door to put Luna back in and Cassie actually clung to the door with her teeth and wouldn't let go! She kept biting for about 20 mins, calmed and is now once again gnawing like crazy!

She has't done this since I got her. A lot of other forums say its because they are bored or need things to chew, however they regularly come out on the floor for a few hours every evening to play with LOTS of toys (they are only little and haven't been vaccinated yet so they cant go outside) and have lots of wooden blocks and toys to chew in their cage - why is she suddenly biting? Luna isn't biting :/

Any help at all would be really appreciated :)

Amy

To me just seems like she saw you bring your other rabbit out and wanted to come out too! Nothing to worry about she is just getting more confident and is trying to let you know she wants out. Mine do it first thing in the morning when they see me as if to say "oh good you're up.....now let me out!"

Rabbits need plenty of space to exercise - all the time, not just for a few hours. Do you have a run attached to the cage?

Unfortunately I'm at sixth form during the day and they haven't got their jabs yet so cant go outside. The hours in the evening are the best I can manage at the moment but I've currently got a massive hutch and run in the making from a far too excited over the bunnies boyfriend :)p) so once they're all jabbed up and old enough they'll be out in that. Cassie is less bitey now - I think Vicky may have been right about the jealousy thing :)

Unfortunately I'm at sixth form during the day and they haven't got their jabs yet so cant go outside. The hours in the evening are the best I can manage at the moment but I've currently got a massive hutch and run in the making from a far too excited over the bunnies boyfriend :)p) so once they're all jabbed up and old enough they'll be out in that. Cassie is less bitey now - I think Vicky may have been right about the jealousy thing :)

They don't need to be outside to play in a run, you can easily attach a puppy pen or something to their cage so they can run around. Or just put the cage in a room that you can bunny proof, ie. Cover wires etc, then they'll have much more space to play. A cage really isn't enough :wave:

Yep, I'd say she wanted to come out too/wasn't ready to go back in. A puppy pen would be a good stop gap to add a little more room, you might be able to pick up a second hand one locally as won't need it for long. If it's a rabbit cage - the other thing would be measure up and see if a large dog crate would be a little more spacious - again pick it up second hand and just give it a good clean :)

I have two bunnies named Luna and Cassie. Today I got Cassie out of the cage for a little cuddle and play and put her back in. A little while alter I did the same with Luna, however the second I took Luna out of the cage Cassie began biting the bars - hard! I opened the door to put Luna back in and Cassie actually clung to the door with her teeth and wouldn't let go! She kept biting for about 20 mins, calmed and is now once again gnawing like crazy!

She has't done this since I got her. A lot of other forums say its because they are bored or need things to chew, however they regularly come out on the floor for a few hours every evening to play with LOTS of toys (they are only little and haven't been vaccinated yet so they cant go outside) and have lots of wooden blocks and toys to chew in their cage - why is she suddenly biting? Luna isn't biting :/

Any help at all would be really appreciated :)

Amy

My two do this if I shut them in while I clean. Its definitely a protest, and probably a little boredom. They did it when I was shutting them in while I went out, and when I went to bed. Now they have 24 hour free range of my living room, and kitchen. They're much more settled with the more room, and can definitely tell that they are even happier. I would definitely recommend that you attach some sort of run for them to avoid grumpy buns :)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Ferg used to do this before his pen had arrived because he was bored and wanted more space :)
You can get really good puppy play pen things on ebay that are massive and can be taken down/put up really easily :)
I think mine was £23 with a cover and I've permanently attached it to the front of his hutch and he loves it :) miles happier and no bar chewing!

Rabbits can actually damage their teeth from chewing the bars, so make sure she doesn't do it all the time. It is a boredom/attention seeking thing, and it can become a habit...kind of like wind-sucking in horses. One of my rabbits is absolutely neurotic when it comes to bars on a cage, he simply can't be shut in anywhere (he even bar bites the front of his carry case when he's in there fr 5 seconds). I have only just managed to introduce a dog crate into the room (with the door off) but previously even a cage sitting in my room would mean Fiver would sit and bar bite it.

He does it because he was in a small cage (4ft) when I got him, although he free ranged whenever I was in during the day, he developed this habit because he was completely bored out of his mind when shut in the cage. He had toys and a shelf and a hammock to lie in, but it was simply not enough. He is very intelligent and active, so being cooped up in any kind of a cage is a torment for him.

I think your bun was doing this because you got the other bun out and she wanted to be out with them. Are they not bonded, is this why they don't come out together?

How big is their cage?

My Poppy does this when she wants me, so if she knows im in the lounge she'll sit in her pen pulling the bars! I guess she's learnt that when she does that I go and give her attention which as shes a lone bun at the min (her potential husbun is sat in my lounge at the min) she does crave my attention so I guess your bun wanted her friend/you.

I think your bun was doing this because you got the other bun out and she wanted to be out with them. Are they not bonded, is this why they don't come out together?

How big is their cage?

They get along really well I just got them out one at a time for a bit of personal bunny cuddling without one running off and doing something naughty :p Cassie stopped biting the cage once Luna had been in with her again for about 20 mins and hasn't done it since which is great. They've been out for their run around for several hours and are now sleeping comfortably :) I get the feeling it was because they were out one at a time rather than together since the cage biting thing hasn't occurred since or happened before. I didn't realise bunny jealousy was possible but there you go :) thanks for all the help, guys :)

They get along really well I just got them out one at a time for a bit of personal bunny cuddling without one running off and doing something naughty :p Cassie stopped biting the cage once Luna had been in with her again for about 20 mins and hasn't done it since which is great. They've been out for their run around for several hours and are now sleeping comfortably :) I get the feeling it was because they were out one at a time rather than together since the cage biting thing hasn't occurred since or happened before. I didn't realise bunny jealousy was possible but there you go :) thanks for all the help, guys :)

I notice you say cage instead of hutch, and cages are always smaller than hutches, and hutches aren't big enough...

Your rabbits need to be able to stand up without their ears touching the top. They also need to be able to run, a minimum of 6ft is needed for this.

Anything smaller, and it becomes cruel. Imagine only being able to crouch or sit and shuffle around without beving able to stretch your legs whenever you want.

Please consider getting something permanent for them to be able to run around in, they are very prone to depression and boredom. It doesn't need to take up too much space but it does need to be permanent. There are some really good space saving ideas in the housing section if you ars short on space :)

I have two buns who have free range time for about 18 hours a day but if I pick one of them up or stroke this bun then her sister will run back to the hutch and shake the bars until it is her turn for cuddles! I have put this down to jealously as when I then give her attention she stops with her attempts on the bars!

Although they are to be going outside in their big hutch and run..whilst they are indoors, they will need something larger than an indoor cage to live in. They haven't yet been spayed or vaccinated and the weather is still cold, especially on a night, so they will be inside with you for a few months yet. I don't know f any cage on the market that is suitable for a rabbit, let alone 2, so bear this in mind.

well that escalated quickly

Look guys the cage biting has not reoccurred, they come out every evening from 3pm till like 10pm ( i know you think this isn't enough, but it is a lot of space to run around in) and even though I'm working on the space thing, its not my house so there isn't much I can do :( If you guys can let your rabbits run around the house that's great but my mum would not be having that :L The hutch is coming, the cage (which i get the feeling you're all thinking is like, 30cm by 30cm or something :p) is surprisingly large they can stand quite comfortably in it without touching the tops. I promise you the rabbits aren't being mistreated or "caged up" or whatever this has turned into :( Cassie literally just started biting the bars when I got Luna out and stopped when I put her back in. They've got lots of toys to keep them active and get a good run around while on the floor. Please understand they aren't being squished xxx It was just a case of bunny jealousy :)

Look guys the cage biting has not reoccurred, they come out every evening from 3pm till like 10pm ( i know you think this isn't enough, but it is a lot of space to run around in) and even though I'm working on the space thing, its not my house so there isn't much I can do :( If you guys can let your rabbits run around the house that's great but my mum would not be having that :L The hutch is coming, the cage (which i get the feeling you're all thinking is like, 30cm by 30cm or something :p) is surprisingly large they can stand quite comfortably in it without touching the tops. I promise you the rabbits aren't being mistreated or "caged up" or whatever this has turned into :( Cassie literally just started biting the bars when I got Luna out and stopped when I put her back in. They've got lots of toys to keep them active and get a good run around while on the floor. Please understand they aren't being squished xxx It was just a case of bunny jealousy :)

I think that what people are trying to advise is that you get a run to attach to the cage as rabbits shouldn't be confined to a cage until you are able to let them out to exercise, just as they shouldn't be left in a hutch.

Don't forget that means the rabbits are being confined for 16 hours every day. Even a 5 ft indoor cage (which I have never seen for sale anywhere but online) wouldn't be anywhere big enough..this is why we were concerned. When they are young they are still growing and having a rabbit in a cage for 16 hours a day will most likely affect their development.

Take it down a notch folks :)

This is a temporary arrangement and lots of people have rabbits in cages that come out for exercise.

I agree, the particular circumstances, sound more like a bunny annoyed because the other rabbit is out that any on going boredom issues. It's certainly something to be aware of but it sounds like you've future plans to resolve it anyway.

Back