• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood Lice in my bunny shed

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Darned horrid pill bugs or cheesy bugs or wood lice are living rent free in my bunny shedand they are making me itch. Im scared..yes..scared that theyre gonna drop on my head or in my top or down my slippers.
How can i get rid of them safely?? How do i search for a nest when theyre all over the walls and ceiling?? I flick them off and hear the bang as they hit the floor. Theyre making me anxious and freaked out.
Help!!

They won't hurt you or the rabbits. They are fascinating little creatures, related to crabs, prawns and lobsters but don't need water to breed.
That's how I came to appreciate them, I now rescue them from the sink in my work.:D

Ooh yuck! I've found a couple of spiders, just little ones, in my bunny shed the last few days, I don't want to hurt them as I suppose they may catch flies, but I don't want them getting comfy and growing big either! I daren't go in my garden shed because there are some whoppers living in there!
Sorry can't offer any advice, but I feel your pain!

They won't hurt you or the rabbits. They are fascinating little creatures, related to crabs, prawns and lobsters but don't need water to breed.
That's how I came to appreciate them, I now rescue them from the sink in my work.:D

But theyre making me ill Halfpenny. Im itching and scratching and constantly checking my clothes and boots..more than an hour later im still at it!!
I know flies dont like citronella. Is there anything i can use?
I loved these things as a kid..but the shed is crawling and im afraid its making me react in this irrational way....

I've got loads, sometimes I brush them up onto the dustban and put them where the birds can feast on them, but I don't think you will ever get rid of them completely.

You could try diatomaceous earth. It's only good dry, but I think it does work if you keep a dry layer going.

I can find it in the organic section of the garden shop.

Otherwise...not much to be done.

Woodlice live in moist conditions so if your shed is moist that be a reason why they are inside.

I have a few extras living in my bunny playhouse too...
I braved the shed and had a major clear out when it was sunny last week, but the playhouse is right next to it and it seems the bugs have evacuated the shed and moved next door!
I don't mind the spiders as long as they're not on me, but I was worried that the wood lice might indicate a damp spot somewhere. They are generally near to the window though so I'm hoping it's just the rain?

I've just found loads of woodlice in my bun shed! Urg they make my skin crawl. There's a gap in he window and they've made theirselves at home in the corner near the door. Gonna get oh to brush them up and out them outside...and seal the windows :lol: urg....... Definitely need to insulate soon but I'm afraid of all the creepy crawlies! Spiders and woodlice in there :shock:

I have large stones to keep the litter trays in place. The woodlice like to gather under them. I dont worry about them. Even the guinea pigs shed gets them and its totally dry.

You could search online for essential oils that deter creepy crawlies you may just find something rabbit friendly. Good luck.

Aww, poor woodlice! I'm not scared of bugs like some people so I can't offer any truly helpful advice, other than they don't like flying and don't much like climbing: so you should be fine and there's no need to worry they'll get in to your clothes etc. Because they hate/are scared of you more than you hate them! I know it's probably not that helpful, but I find it helpful to think how THEY feel about ME :) Perils of keeping bunnies outside! I have earwigs in Lopsy's hutch, and a snail was sheltering there the other day until I evicted it (and them Matt trod on it by accident, oops).

Back