• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm not expert but...

tashp90

Warren Veteran
I've learnt a lot in the last week from this forum. I was just in pets at home (getting things for my mams dogs) and I saw a lady, and her 4 children looking at the rabbits. The children were banging on the see through plastic, and shouting, which was obviously distressing the bunnies. They were there to buy a rabbit. They chose a gorgeous little white lion haired bun. The member of staff asked if they had owned rabbits before, they replied yes, and that they currently had one. They were buying this one as a friend. The member of staff said it was fine, mentioned nothing about what sex their current rabbit was, whether it was neutered, whether the housing was appropriate for 2, or even bonding. He just put the rabbit in the little cardboard carrier, took a few details, and they were off.
Like I say, I'm not expert, but from what I've read on this forum, everything about that scenario just screams potential for disaster, and the ones to suffer will be the rabbits :(!!!

You might not be an expert but you are right!

I'm the first to admit I'm new to rabbit owning, and I'm still learning. But the first thing I did was join this forum, and if I'm unsure, this is the first place I look. I also did, and continue to do lots of research about looking after them properly. I would never have gone and got them without knowing I was capable to look after them, and that we were suited to each other! Some people just don't seem to actually think about the fact that animals have their own little quirks, and ways of life too!

perhaps there should be 'r u' cards that we can hand out in such situations... perhaps there are some.. or a flyer to download...

perhaps there should be 'r u' cards that we can hand out in such situations... perhaps there are some.. or a flyer to download...

We could get them printed on vista print :D! A little card that's like "is a rabbit right for you"? And a checklist :lol: Its so awkward, coz you really want to step in and be like "NO JUST LEAVE!!"

My mom has stepped in before when she heard a sales associate saying something incorrect and harmful, at least if you say something (politely!) they might think about it or they might want to learn more and start reading about rabbits.

I've learnt a lot in the last week from this forum. I was just in pets at home (getting things for my mams dogs) and I saw a lady, and her 4 children looking at the rabbits. The children were banging on the see through plastic, and shouting, which was obviously distressing the bunnies. They were there to buy a rabbit. They chose a gorgeous little white lion haired bun. The member of staff asked if they had owned rabbits before, they replied yes, and that they currently had one. They were buying this one as a friend. The member of staff said it was fine, mentioned nothing about what sex their current rabbit was, whether it was neutered, whether the housing was appropriate for 2, or even bonding. He just put the rabbit in the little cardboard carrier, took a few details, and they were off.
Like I say, I'm not expert, but from what I've read on this forum, everything about that scenario just screams potential for disaster, and the ones to suffer will be the rabbits :(!!!

Oh no, my heart sank at this :cry: this is going to be a complete disaster! Poor poor bunnies :cry::cry::cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no, my heart sank at this :cry: this is going to be a complete disaster! Poor poor bunnies :cry::cry::cry:

I know :( it's unbelievable...I can't decide who was worse in the situation, the family (particularly the mother), or the member of staff :cry:

My mom has stepped in before when she heard a sales associate saying something incorrect and harmful, at least if you say something (politely!) they might think about it or they might want to learn more and start reading about rabbits.

I've done that as well. I don't like to assume, but if the person is obviously clueless or the employee is giving bad info then I politely say something. Some people really are willing to listen, I informed a couple of people about budgies before and they were really nice and wanted to learn.:)

I know :( it's unbelievable...I can't decide who was worse in the situation, the family (particularly the mother), or the member of staff :cry:

I think both, the parents for giving into the kids and not doing their research, but slightly more to the staff for not giving them the correct info! I'd say 49-51% to parents-staff

I think both, the parents for giving into the kids and not doing their research, but slightly more to the staff for not giving them the correct info! I'd say 49-51% to parents-staff

In terms of the rabbits welfare, the staff member is definitely massively at fault. They will sell to anyone over 18. As if being 18 automatically makes you responsible!

Well I agree, but I did say something to my son's friend's mum who did exactly this, only for her to ignore me and go and do it anyway and for the rabbits to be best of friends within a minute. Most annoying! :evil:

Well I agree, but I did say something to my son's friend's mum who did exactly this, only for her to ignore me and go and do it anyway and for the rabbits to be best of friends within a minute. Most annoying! :evil:

I think that was more luck than judgement. I hope the rabbits do love each other but there's always a chance they won't :(

Back