• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Part-Time' Pairing

Connor02

New Kit
Hi, this is my first post so I'm not too sure if I'm putting it in the right place.

I have a single rabbit, he's around 6 years old and is going strong. He's always lived alone, I was only around 13 when I got him and I never fully appreciated the social needs. When I realised my mistake I assumed it was too late to give him a partner, and at the time I lived with my parents and they weren't willing to house another rabbit.

I live in the UK, my rabbit lives outside and has a free run of the garden during the day and is kept in a hutch at night.

I have a friend across the road who has 4 rabbits. They also have free roam of his garden. Would it be possible to introduce my rabbit to one of his and then give them time together maybe twice a week? Will this actually cause him more stress by removing him each time? Are they likely to fight? And thinking long term, if I can introduce them, could my rabbit eventually join my friends during the day in his garden before being removed to his own hutch at my house?

Thanks for your help!

It is a nice idea, but unfortunately it would cause him more upset and stress than not having a friend at all. It would also likely cause fighting etc.

Once a rabbit is bonded, they need to be kept together at all times where possible.

It is never too late to get him a friend, but he would need to be neutered if he isn't already.

Perfect, thanks for your quick response! Currently in the process of attempting to convince the family that we should get a rescue rabbit.

Hi there,
This sounds like a nice idea but in reality I don't think it will work. Rabbits are territorial so if you bring one of your friends rabbits to your garden, your rabbit will see it as an intruder and will most probably fight, and visa versa. Also, I think in general meetings between unbonded rabbits can be quite stressful for the rabbits, so even a meeting twice a week in neutral territory would be more likely to cause him stress rather than him enjoying rabbit company.
At six though your rabbit is not too old to have a bonded partner of his own. You could adopt one from a rescue, you can usually take your bunny along to see who he seems to get on with. If you can, this would make him much happier I'm sure.

Back