• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turns out Holly is an Olly!!!!!

Abian

New Kit
Having decided to get Holly spayed, due to "her" aggressive behaviour towards Elf. We were shocked to find that "she" is actually a he!!!!
He had been mis-sexed by two previous vets and the breeder!!
After a very aggressive (possibly amorous) night, we removed Elf from Hollys company (approx 20 days ago)
Poor Elf is sleepy. No longer interested in us, when we go to the cage. Moving hair n straw like a mad woman. Drinking heaps. Very prominent nipples too.
Signs of pregnancy??
I've read lots of comments on nest boxes. Does she need one? Do pet shops sell them? Or do we need to make one? When do you put one in? - as we're v unsure.
advice pls!!!!

How old is your female rabbit?

If your rabbit is pregnant she needs as stressfree an environment as you can provide. Make sure her cage is clean with lots of hay to make the nest. You can provide a nestbox if you can find one but it isn't absolutely necessary, just better.

The reason why she was aggressive is the male would be pestering her and once a female is pregnant she doesn't want to be mated with again.

How old is your female rabbit?

If your rabbit is pregnant she needs as stressfree an environment as you can provide. Make sure her cage is clean with lots of hay to make the nest. You can provide a nestbox if you can find one but it isn't absolutely necessary, just better.

The reason why she was aggressive is the male would be pestering her and once a female is pregnant she doesn't want to be mated with again.

Elf (the female) & "Holly the boy" as my son now calls him are both nearly 6 months.
just wish we knew for sure whether to expect babies!
Elf would make a lovely mum, so I have no worries there. Just want to make sure we do the best for her! Want to make sure she has everything she MIGHT need.

It's a bit of a delicate subject, but the vets should be able to spay Elf if you want to. This would also remove the babies, obviously. The problem is that rescues are full to bursting and it's very hard to rehome rabbits. Unless you can offer all the babies a home (and obviously spay/neuter them all), I think it might be wise to consider whether you should bring some more babies into the world. If you are going to bring them into the world you need to consider extra accommodation to split them into M/F groups when they get a bit older, as well as home checking your potential adoptees. The problem is that you really don't know where the babies will go in most cases unless you do a thorough homecheck and ensure that if at any point the new owners can't keep the rabbits, they're returned to you. There's also the problem that if you don't spay/neuter all the babies before going out, they too could have further litters. You may be responsible for not only bringing these babies into the world, but potentially many more.

A vet would be able to advise you more about a spay. There may be problems with Elf giving birth as she's so young, as as far as I know you can get more complications with a young/inexperienced mother. The babies then have a very low chance of survival anyway. Elf really needs a checkup at the vets if she hasn't had one since you realised she was pregnant, just to check that she's okay.

Here's some threads for you to help and advise you:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

In terms of the nest box, it may be useful. I'm assuming her hutch is 6ft long, as it's the minimum requirements? If so, I'd say put a nest box in. If it's any smaller I'd say leave it, as she'll have no space for herself.

I think elf is almost certainly pregnant.

If she is shifting hay around this is the start of nest building. If she has somewhere quiet and discrete then she will build in there. Any kind of box, igloo, tunnel will be more preferable for herrather than out in the open.

She will stuff it with hay then make a depression. 24-48 hours before the birth she will start to pull fur. The amount depends on how much material she already has. this can look quite distressing but it natural. She is just making the nest super cosy.

He gestation period is likely to be exactly 31 days, though they can often vary a bit but both the Does I have experience with have hit it spot on and they were both young. She will likely give birth in the early hours of the morning but if you happen to walk in on it the best thing you can do is leave her alone and let her get on with it.

I would check the nest once you see fur in there and make sure any kits are alive. Dont believe anyone who says you cant handle them because the mother will reject them - it simply isnt true. She may reject them because of stress or threats but not because you handled them. When checkinhg the nest its best to give her a favourite treat away from that part of the accomodation so she is distracted.

The kits will then stay ion the nest until around 3 weeks when they will start to come out and be curious. They open their eyes at 10-11 days.

Make sure Elf has plenty of food and water. You can buy junior pellets hich have more nutrients and are good for lactating does.

A vet would be able to advise you more about a spay. There may be problems with Elf giving birth as she's so young, as as far as I know you can get more complications with a young/inexperienced mother. The babies then have a very low chance of survival anyway. Elf really needs a checkup at the vets if she hasn't had one since you realised she was pregnant, just to check that she's okay.

A lot of what you say is re: rescues sound advice, but at 6 months nature has taken over and the rest of what you say is misguided. In the wild bunnies breed and there are no more or less complications at this age.

The babies DO NOT have a low chance of survival. They in fact have a very good chance of survival in a domestic situation.

20+ days is very late for a termination and spay and certainly this does add complications and put the mother at risk. My Vet would not reccomend spaying after 3 weeks (21 days) so it is marginal. I would think very carefully about doing this now.

I know rescues are bursting but we are talking still about the welfare of the animals and at present these bunnies are in no danager. an inconvieneice for the owner but at present, not in danger.

you could get your vet to do an ultrasound which will telll you how many kits there might be, but these are oftne inconclussive in rabbits and may put undue stress on Elf.

I meant to say, the whole nest box thing originates in the USA.

There they often keep rabbits in suspended wire floored cages (especially if breeding) and the nest box is required to stop the nest and the kits falling thorugh or becoming trapped.

Here, where most rabbits are in a hutch of some description the rabbit will more than likley creat the nest in the enclosed section of the hutch. By all means put a box in a box but when i did this she just destroyed the first cardboard one and then dragged the wooden one out of the way and had the ababies where she wanted.

I aree your girly bun sounds pregnant. If posible I would get her to the vets for an emergency spay. You should then be able to rebond them once your boy is done too. Hope it all goes well

I meant to say, the whole nest box thing originates in the USA.

There they often keep rabbits in suspended wire floored cages (especially if breeding) and the nest box is required to stop the nest and the kits falling thorugh or becoming trapped.

Here, where most rabbits are in a hutch of some description the rabbit will more than likley creat the nest in the enclosed section of the hutch. By all means put a box in a box but when i did this she just destroyed the first cardboard one and then dragged the wooden one out of the way and had the ababies where she wanted.

Thank you for your comments and advice. There's no way I would have her spayed whilst pregnant. I just couldn't do! Plus, having spoken to the vet, he advises against it. We'll wait and see what happens. If needs be, we'll accommodate any babies and/or find them homes with family/friends.
Will just have to wait and see what happens I suppose. Whatever, she'll be spayed and hopefully return to Holly (the boy) If/when the time comes.
will keep you updated.
hopefully all will run smoothly and Elf will be ok

Thank you for your comments and advice. There's no way I would have her spayed whilst pregnant. I just couldn't do! Plus, having spoken to the vet, he advises against it. We'll wait and see what happens. If needs be, we'll accommodate any babies and/or find them homes with family/friends.
Will just have to wait and see what happens I suppose. Whatever, she'll be spayed and hopefully return to Holly (the boy) If/when the time comes.
will keep you updated.
hopefully all will run smoothly and Elf will be ok

I know what you mean re; spaying when pregnant. I guess the rescues are sooo overflowing that it is sometimes a kinder overall option (if done early enough obvs).

I hope everything goes well for Elf. Please keep us updated.

Back