• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit weeing on me!

Asimm65

New Kit
I am a new rabbit owner so would really appreciate some advice. My rabbit is approximately 11 weeks old and is a male mini lop. He developed a habit recently of weeing on the sofas, and on me within the forst 10 mins of letting him out:/ so I have tried banning him from the sofas and he just weed on the rug instead! I'm not sure if it's early puberty, or if he just gets annoyed at us for pestering him by picking him up and sitting with him for so long. Litter training isn't going well (see other post) and he seems to completely ignore his litter box. Advice please??
Thanks.

Is he just weeing of is he spraying you? Almost all my baby buns wee'd on me at first, I made waterproof lap blankets so we could still enjoy cuddles. They all grew out of it. Now Oliver and comet they actually sprayed which is much worse, as no amount of blankets will save you! :lol: Fourtunately this is almost always goes away once they are neutered. Once he's neutered litter training will also be easier as he'll feel less need to mark his territory.

My little girl wee'd on me a couple of times but seems to have stopped now,so I can't help much there. As for litter training, I found that cleaning it up with a tissue, and putting the tissue in the box helped. I've o.ly had 2 wees outside of the litter boxes since Sunday.
I believe that your bun is possibly marking hist territory, in which case it won't stop until he is neutered :/

Well I always put some dirty litter in the tray and he has newspaper down in his area so rip that up if he weed and put a little in also. He has used it occasionally but not with much success. Also I put it in the corner he used to wee and then he just seemed to go somewhere awkward in the middle or somewhere completely different. Yes I'm coming to the conclusion neutering will help a lot but he's not old enough, and the vet said he doesn't weigh enough yet :/ Also yes just weeing, no spraying as of yet!! :) may i ask how you made blankets?? :)

:lol: Oh the joys of baby buns. He is simply telling you that you now belong to him. :lol:

Fortunately I never had this problem with Fiver, but he did have a habit of peeing on the couch. :roll: Every time he did it, I pushed him down and said "no". He eventually understood that if he peed on the couch, he didn't get any cuddles or treats. Ignoring a bun is the ultimate insult to them, so they will hopefully grasp what's "right" and what's "wrong" pretty quickly.

Has he got plenty of hay in his litter tray? Buns like to eat and poo/wee at the same time, and putting hay in their tray is a good way to encourage them to do their business in there. I was pretty lucky with Fiver and he grasped peeing in the tray almost immediately, he only stopped pooing everywhere when he was neutered.

Good luck with your baby. :thumb:

Back