• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please, 8 week old mounting

kayla02

New Kit
Hi, wondered if anyone had any advice for me, I got 2 rabbits yesterday both 8 weeks old- buck and doe from different litters. They had previously met along with their littermates at breeders and got along fine. I had them together for 24 hours with no problems at all, they were getting along great, inseparable! However this eve I caught the buck mounting and chasing the doe round their cage.

I read that they don't usually reach sexual maturity until about 12weeks + but am concerned by this evenings behaviour. Is it likely to be a dominance thing and I should not be worried for a few weeks or am I right to separate them now? I wanted to get them both done and live together long term so plans for this if possible! (my original plan was to keep together until 11-12 weeks to minimise separation time.

Really appreciate any advice as currently have 2 lonely babies! :(

Kayla x

Maybe they are older than 8 weeks? If they are 8 weeks then there is no way the doe would be able to get pregnant, or maybe you have 2 boys? I would get them sexed at the Vets to ascertain their gender then you can plan what to do. The doe, if it is one, would not be able to be spayed at 12 weeks anyway as it's too early. She will have to wait until she is about 5 months, depending on your Vet, so if the mounting continues it will be sensible to separate them anyway until they are a bit older. If they are 2 boys they may start fighting and be very difficult to rebond. :)

I had two 8 week old litter mates, and they did a bit ofiuntibg when they first moved in
I think it's a dominance thing - as yours have never lived together, and ours had never lived without their mum and siblings - so it's just working out their place in the pack
Should settle down quickly

At 8/9 weeks I would split them up anyway but keep them close to each other. When they have both been neutered and hormones have settled down I would slowly introduce and start bonding.

I agree that its worth splitting them up now before any hormones come in and fighting begins. Once they are neutered/spayed and they have had a couple of months to recover then you can bond (in a neutral space).

It may seem mean having them apart atm but it is sooooo much better than having them fight.

Very best of luck. My two baby bucks fell out badly and had to be separated for months before being rebonded. Luckily I got the others from rescues, already bonded and neutered/spayed. MUCH easier!!!

Back