• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please :)

Hi guys, I have a question about my indoor bun Maisie, I adopted her about 8 months ago now where she was in really poor condition very underweight etc and apparently she did have a sister that passed away due to the lack of care the poor buns had,

Anyway, Maisie used to jump out of her cage and have the run of the house and play with us but recently she has stopped coming out of her cage, shes eating and drinking fine and her stools are normal (I checked as I did wonder if she was getting unwell)

I was wondering If I should bring one of my outdoor buns in and try to bond them (in a neutral space of course) Maisie lived outdoors with my other 4 buns for a few weeks until I noticed they didnt let her near the food and it wasnt helping her gain the weight she needed, so I bought her in. The bun Im thinking of bringing in for her is the one she used to sit with sometimes when she was outside shes a lop named Molly, and Molly is the quieter one out of the outdoor buns she gets bullied sometimes by the other more confident buns so maybe it would be good for her too? shes very placid.

oops! that turned into a long post!! I really just want to see if Maisie is depressed or lonely, she hasnt been her self for a while now and its sad to see :(

Personally any change in behaviour and I'm straight off to the vets. Bunnies are experts at hiding illness sometimes something really minor is a massive hint that something is wrong. This is extra important if you are thinking of bonding her as you wouldn't want to put your other buns at risk.

Yes, a health check might be a good first step, just in case there is something more going on. Sometimes there can be problems that just make them feel unwell or in a bit of pain and it doesn't show in their eating just behaviour eg arthritis.

After that, is sounds like bringing Molly in could work out well for both of them. Keep in mind although they've met before, it would still be best to do the initial introductions on neutral territory as Maisie will probably be protective of her space - even the quiet ones can get grumpy when they feel their space is invaded.

The other thing to consider is if it doesn't work out, there is the potential is could be tricky to get Molly back into the group.

Thanks for your replies, Maisie is booked in to see the vet as I did think it might be something more serious, so maybe they can let me know what is happening there, she looks so sad. hopefully its nothing serious though.

Back