• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should I call sspca?

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
I think someone is keeping a mummy bunny still with her likely 4 babies who will be anout 3 months old in your bog standard small hutch. I know she loves her animals but she is a bit/lot uneducated about what they need(questionable as I think she knows fine well). I dont know for a fact, but my relative has seen thst she still has them all. Should I get my fact right, or just call the sspca to go check? Will the sspca do anything anyways? I know this person will go crazy if they knock her door :? I just feel so bad for the babies, and mum, and dad, he's in the hutch below, feel helpless :(

If they are being fed and watered and cleaned out then I don't think that there is much that the spca will do to be honest.

What is the hutch conditions like?

Agree with Kirsty. The SSPCA probably will do nothing. A while back I contacted them regarding a similar situation and as nothing was done the first time, I phoned again. I then had the police at my door telling me not to phone them again regarding the issue! Apparently a 4 foot hutch with limited water and no attention is fine.

What the f? Thats horrendous :( yes they are being fed and watered but 5 rabbits in a 4ft hutch?? Unbelievable :( guess I should leave it then, I know she would go mental and make it her mission to find out. So sad isn't it, feel helpless :(

What the f? Thats horrendous :( yes they are being fed and watered but 5 rabbits in a 4ft hutch?? Unbelievable :( guess I should leave it then, I know she would go mental and make it her mission to find out. So sad isn't it, feel helpless :(

You could always try - maybe the ones near you are better and at least voice your concerns. If they are being kept in dirty conditions they might at least tell them to provide better .

I would still try if you are concerned, better to try and they decide to leave it than not to try at all I suppose :)

Any way you can get the babies out? And if possible make a smallish hole so she thiks they got out on their own?

I think sometimes you need to take things into your own hands.

It's probably not the best idea saying that on a forum that anyone can read. Could be used as incriminating evidence ;)

Poor buns :cry:

I think you should call the SSPCA anyway. Even if they don't/can't do anything they'll probably have a word with her anyway, and their visit might give her a kick up the Jacky's to do something about it :wave:

I think someone is keeping a mummy bunny still with her likely 4 babies who will be anout 3 months old in your bog standard small hutch. I know she loves her animals but she is a bit/lot uneducated about what they need(questionable as I think she knows fine well). I dont know for a fact, but my relative has seen thst she still has them all. Should I get my fact right, or just call the sspca to go check? Will the sspca do anything anyways? I know this person will go crazy if they knock her door :? I just feel so bad for the babies, and mum, and dad, he's in the hutch below, feel helpless :(

If she cares about her animals it might be worth just having a word with her and seeing if she needs any advice, or maybe send her a letter with some info off the RWAF website - maybe she just doesn't know she's doing something wrong
Hope it gets sorted - bunnies deserve so much better than that!

Unless they have no water/food, the SSPCA won't do anything. It's perfectly legal to breed and keep in small hutches :( and as so many people do it, they can't stop them all.

Perhaps you could put some leaflets through her door, the RWA ones about hutches, and neutering? Might be worth a shot and better than doing nothing.

Wee update. I left it a week to see from someone I know if she still had them all and she does, and the babies are over 3 months now buks and does, so I called the sspca and they were helpful and said that now with the bunnies approaching breeding ages they better go up and they would send someone up today to have a word with her. So il call back in a few days see what they did about it :)

Its a hard one but if you know their hutch measurements are not RSPCA standered then the SSPCA maybe able to interveen and say something. They might not be able to conferscate them provided she gets a bigger hutch.

Sometimes people just need to be told. Maybe theirs a book out their with hutch size requirements you could give her for Christmas.

I'm glad you rang. Sometimes you just need to do something even if you think it is going to be unsuccessful because then you know you tried your best. I'm pleased something might get done though

I'm glad you rang. Sometimes you just need to do something even if you think it is going to be unsuccessful because then you know you tried your best. I'm pleased something might get done though

Im going to call them to see what they did about it.

I wonder if its possible to put something through the door, like an advertisement or promo for large cages from a local pet shop. They might think it was their idea.

Back