• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long until I can expand newly bonding bunnies space?

Jesselle

Mama Doe
I'm feeling so terrible about Neville and Susie being in a 6x2 pen! I also know they're still settling so it's probably best but poor Neville is used to free ranging. Will his legs be ok after not being able to run?!

How long til they can expand? I could probably only extend by 1ft in the current room they're in (neutral).

I'm planning to move them to the room I keep my hamsters in eventually. Could this upset them due to hammy noises and smells? Also, Neville has been in there a handful of times so I'm going to try and neutralise. When I do move them, should they be in a small pen again?

Well, I added another panel and pushed one side of the pen out. Just while I'm in the room monitoring them and we've had binkies from Neville and Susie has been exploring. Then eating and now this:

I'll put the pen back to 6x2 soon but it's been nice to give them a little bit of room for a hour!

I shut my pair in a 4x2 hutch for 5 days before expanding to a 5ft hutch, 6ft hutch and then the run. Just gauge it on how they are behaving, but don't rush it. It's only temporary and it won't do any damage to his legs, Donny is a 3+kg rabbit and wasn't phased by being in a small hutch, I didn't want to ruin the bond by rushing though, especially with Lola. It's best to go slow and it work rather than moving too fast for them and having to go back to square one x

Looks like things are going well :thumb: when you expand the space if they are ok with it and it doesn't trigger off chasing etc I would leave the space like that for at least 48 hours after any chasing etc has subsided, and then expand again. When I did my bond when I had to move them to a different place it made the chasing startup again for a short while, it seems to be normal bonding behaviour :thumb:

I probably wouldn't move rooms and expand space all at the same time as it may be too much. If it was me I'd move them into the room you want them in and let them settle in their current pen size for a day or so, then if everythings still ok continue expanding space.

The hammies shouldn't bother them at all, none of mine are bothered.

I probably wouldn't move rooms and expand space all at the same time as it may be too much. If it was me I'd move them into the room you want them in and let them settle in their current pen size for a day or so, then if everythings still ok continue expanding space.

The hammies shouldn't bother them at all, none of mine are bothered.

I agree.

My lot were fascinated by Harvest hamster and would stare at her!

Thank you everyone!

I think I'll attempt a move on Sunday and monitor all day and hopefully night and keep the pen at 6x2.

Any expanding will happen once they're settled in the new room.

I get the feeling Susie is gonna miss me! She seems to have bonded with me :)

Back