• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi new and needing advice please :)

Aurora2

New Kit
Hi, I took on a bunny from a friend of a friend who said they didn't have time for her. She's about 2 years old. I don't think she has ever been handled as she gets really quite cross at me being in her space to do anything and runs anywhere to get away from me.
So I was wondering the best way to help tame her as she's more set in her ways.
I've moved her into a new hutch with a big run attached and giving her a couple of weeks to relax with out me fussing her to much so she can settle.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hopefully she will become more friendly when she realises you are the bringer of food :thumb: when I got Dandy and Beano they were very nervous, but after they had settled in for a week or so they didn't run into the furthest corner of the hutch when they wanted to hide, and we started feeding them something each time we went past, a couple of dandelion leaves or a handful of grass or something, and they improved loads :thumb: most rabbits never like being picked up though, being a prey animal.

firstly, welcome! :wave:

do you know if she's been spayed? if not then thats definitely worth doing as it may reduce her territoriality (also its very important for health reasons as unspayed buns are more prone to ovarian cancer)

letting her settle is a good idea :thumb: i would start by talking softly to her every time you approach her hutch so she gets used to her voice. avoid cleaning her hutch while she's in it (shut her in the run if you can) so she doesnt have to act defensive. when she's a bit more comfortable you can sit on the floor with her in the run (if you can!) and let her come to you and sniff you...build it up slowly to feeding her from your hand and stroking her gently.

this is the approach i took with my bunny Fern and i have to say she still doesnt like being touched after nearly 3 years! she will tolerate it though and isn't scared of me and always mugs me for food.some bunnies just dont like being handled at all, and as zoobec said, your bunny will probably never take to being picked up

good luck, and we would love to see some photos of your new addition:D

Just a little update, LaLa has now learnt to get into a cat box to be transferred to the garden each morning and back in in the evening :) she also allows my son to pick her up from her hutch but he is the only one allowed lol

Just a little update, LaLa has now learnt to get into a cat box to be transferred to the garden each morning and back in in the evening :) she also allows my son to pick her up from her hutch but he is the only one allowed lol

:wave: Thanks for the update and very well done for persevering, especially with a bunny that you have rescued. Clever bunny for learning to get in and out of the carrier, but how marvellous that your son is the chosen one who is allowed to pick her up! He must have a very special bond with her!

Have you thought about having her neutered and getting her a friend?

Do you know if she has been spayed? It can make a difference to a female bunny's behaviour

Back