• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding in a cage?

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
I'm getting closer to the exciting times of bonding Niles & Daphne! I am so nervous, I hope they like each other. I am moving my guinea pigs into a new cage soon & wondered if I could bond the buns in their old cage so it's neutral? I was going to use a pen, but my OH is worried about mess :/ I did think about using the base of the guinea pig cage, surrounded by the pen as opposed to the top of the cage so I can get in easier. Does this sound ok? Its a 150cm cage. It'll be a week and a half before I start trying to bond, Daphne should be 5 weeks post spay then.

I have never bonded any animals so take this advice with a pinch of salt maybe, ha ha, but the first thing that sprang to my mind was that if they are in a cage together and don't get on, there's nowhere to run to. Bloodbath springs to mind?! :shock:

I bonded my 4 in a xxl dog crate in the initial stage without any problems, but I did think that if there had been any issues I wouldn't have been able to intervene as quickly as if I'd have done it in a puppy pen.

I did think about putting the base of the cage on the floor & then surrounding it with a puppy pen? That way I can gradually increase the size of their bonding area too.. The cage is really tricky to get to certain parts of it (it's a nightmare to clean the back corners!! I'm only 5'4", I have to pretty much climb inside it to clean it! Not good if I have fighting buns..)

My Vet has advised that I can start bonding them now (Niles is 5.5yrs & Daphne is around 1yr, 3wks post spay). I can't do it just yet as I have things coming up, I need a completely free schedule for a few days, or someone who can watch them at least! So we won't be starting just yet.

This is what I'm thinking about doing for my trio, use a cage base and put the pen around it because the cage lid with the lid on is really short, then if all goes well and I can expand I'll ditch the cage base and just use puppy pads and hay on the floor of the puppy pen.

Well.. I tried a bunny date last night, just to see if they'd get on. It didn't go well. Niles attacked her 3 times :( The first two times weren't too bad, he boxed her a bit. But the third time he went in to bite. I'm glad I tried them together, I guess that answers a lot of my questions! Neither of them are depressed alone so I will leave them as they are for now. It's such a shame.. I was really hoping they would be happy together. Niles is just a bit too grumpy!

Oh dear :cry: I'd maybe try again when Daphne is at least 6 weeks post spay and in a totally neutral area, see if it works next time. I would pick a time when you can observe them for a week or so, If they are ok together I would leave them together so they aren't starting from scratch each time.

Back