• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Success! My bunnies have bonded, BUT...

Ozzy

New Kit
After 3 weeks I can say for sure now that my bunnies have bonded. They never are more than 2 feet from eat other, groom each other all the time, show no aggression and seem overall very happy. But, even though they most definitely are bonded, my Netherland dwarf Ozzy won't give up the mounting. Ruby, my Holland Lop is generally quite passive about it and no longer shows aggression to him when he tries to mount her (and she never tries to mount him), but instead just hops away when she gets tired of it. I think I can say with certainty that Ozzy has established the dominant role in the relationship.

Now time for the "but..."
Ozzy still continues to pull Ruby's hair when he mounts her. So much so that she has developed a bald spot where his head always is when mounting her. It is not sensitive on her and she doesn't mind it being touched when she is pet. BUT I'm really not happy with this as I don't want her to be in any form of discomfort.
Is this a behaviour that will eventually die down as they are still fairly newly bonded?
Any suggestions as to how I can stop his excessive mounting?

Thanks!

I don't know about the fur pulling, but when I bonded Benji and April, Benji was insistent on trying to mount her all the time at first, then it reduced the following day and gradually he stopped doing it. He would occasionally do it as a one off thing, but it should die down if they are both neutered.

Back