• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur in bunny's poop - one poop is totally fur! :( help!

Bicky123

Young Bun
I've noticed that my bunny Ned (Flounder) has left some droppings that contain fur. He's recently had a heavy moult and I've been brushing him and removing the fur every day. He is constantly eating hay and drinking plenty and having lots of exercise, so I don't understand how his poops have fur in them!

I haven't been brushing him every day since he's stopped moulting - do you think I should continue to groom him every day again?

Some of the poops are sometimes a different shape / size but none are sloppy.

I did collect a new female bun three days ago and so far they aren't bonding....can it be something to do with this?

Anyone with any info, please help :wave: thanks x

It's normal for poop to contain some fur during a moult. Most of the time it passes through just fine. It can be more of a problem for bunnies that aren't eating a lot of fibre i.e. lots of hay/grass as their guts aren't as efficient or if they've got longer fur than standard.

As long as he's eating and pooping don't worry too much. Grooming is a good idea as it does cut down the amount of fur if you've got a very fluffy bunny, it might be an idea to keep up the grooming a bit longer if he's still shedding fluff. Even with grooming they will still ingest some fluff, just a lot less.

Hi Tamsin

Thanks for your message!

That's certainly helped, thank you. He's certainly eating and everything else is normal, but I will continue to groom him and just keep an eye on it.

It's normal for poop to contain some fur during a moult. Most of the time it passes through just fine. It can be more of a problem for bunnies that aren't eating a lot of fibre i.e. lots of hay/grass as their guts aren't as efficient or if they've got longer fur than standard.

As long as he's eating and pooping don't worry too much. Grooming is a good idea as it does cut down the amount of fur if you've got a very fluffy bunny, it might be an idea to keep up the grooming a bit longer if he's still shedding fluff. Even with grooming they will still ingest some fluff, just a lot less.

I've also noticed that the poops that he's left are extremely wet - but not that he's also pee'd in that spot. They are still round and formed OK (not diarrhoea) and he is drinking a lot more than usual. He's a Netherland Dwarf (around 1.2 kilos) and he's drinking 2 food bowl fulls per day.

Back