• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what would you do?

elis-mum

Mama Doe
I like to think I am quite in tune to my rabbits but at the moment Blousy my mini lop has me a bit baffled.

she isn't exactly ill but she is acting strangely.
She is pretty quiet and subdued, outwardly I can't see signs of pain or discomfort. Probably not as hyper as normal but she is moving about, grooming herself etc.. no hunching or poorly tummy signs.

she is eating but again there isn't the usual enthusiasm and she isn't eating as much.

I am wondering if she could be a bit off it because of her moult.. I have this with one of my others but not had it with her before.
I was in 2 minds as to whether to take her to the vet to be on the safe side. But she hates being caught and held and gets really stressed in the carrier so I don't want to take her for the sake of it.
I also keep thinking she isn't getting worse, if she was il surely she would be going downhill. she is eating, pooping etc.. so do I just keep a close eye on her?

What would you do?

What would I do?
I'd act on 'better safe than sorry' and take my rabbit to the vet to be checked over. As you know, rabbits (as prey animals) are very good at hiding illness.

If your instinct tells you there is something wrong then there is probably something wrong.

I had a similar experience with Artie when he was out of sorts for a few weeks, on and off, some days/times of day brighter than others. I knew he wasn't quite right. Eating slower, sometimes a bit spaced out and not really as aware as normal. It turned out to be kidney stone pain - something I would never have guessed. I didn't read his behaviour as pain but in hindsight it clearly was!

Back to the question - I'd want a trusted vet to check her over as well ie not the first appointment you can get but one you feel will be worthwhile.

Thanks, had already decided that and got her booked in first thing tomorrow.
She just had a bit of banana and a few dandelion leaves but something is definitely off.

Thanks, had already decided that and got her booked in first thing tomorrow.
She just had a bit of banana and a few dandelion leaves but something is definitely off.

Thought you prob would have - sometimes writing down makes things clearer.

If your instinct tells you there is something wrong then there is probably something wrong.

I

Back to the question - I'd want a trusted vet to check her over as well ie not the first appointment you can get but one you feel will be worthwhile.

I only have the one vet and she is very rabbit savvy. Will let you know how we go on.
thankyou. :thumb:

I only have the one vet and she is very rabbit savvy. Will let you know how we go on.
thankyou. :thumb:

Good you managed to get an appointment so quicky. I hate having to wait once you've made your mind up that something needs doing! I hope it turns out to be nothing much.

Well typically this morning Blousy was kicking up her heels and waggling her tail like a spring lamb!

I still took her to be checked out, her tummy was checked and listened to and her teeth etc were all checked but nothingwas found.
When we got home I took the dog out and foraged a bit of sticky weed, dandelion leaves and straggly blackberry leaves which she tucked into.
She is still a bit off with me but after recently being wormed then me handling her a lot with this it doesn't surprise me. She usually comes back to me in time!

just a case of keeping an eye on her, there is a fair bit of fur in her poops too!

Back