• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone use puppy pads for their bunnies?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I've gone right off megazorb, Alice eats litter, carefresh is to expensive and hay and newspaper leaves them with stained feet.
I'm considering buying a cheap pack of puppy pads from eBay to try out, anyone else use them? What do you think?

I used to use poundland puppy pads in the bunnies cages when binky would pee everywhere, im pretty sure its a pack of 10 or 15 for only a pound! :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I've only seen them in the one size and 5cm smaller, I get mine from home bargains. The whole thing fits perfectly in a 32L storage box, it comes up the sides so you can just scoop it out.

These look amazing value. May try them for the guinea pigs who seem to be little wee machines.

I have funnily enough just started using puppy pads on the shed floor this week and so far so good and they haven't ripped them up (yet) :D

My indoor two have puppy pads :thumb:

I get mine from poundland but beware of developing sore hocks on them...I've found them to be quite abrasive on their hocks

My indoor two have puppy pads :thumb:

I get mine from poundland but beware of developing sore hocks on them...I've found them to be quite abrasive on their hocks

I'm going to cover them in hay do you think bit would still be a problem for their hocks? Mine both have sore hocks don't want to make it worse!

Puppy Pads in Bunny's Litter Tray - DANGER!

I've gone right off megazorb, Alice eats litter, carefresh is to expensive and hay and newspaper leaves them with stained feet.
I'm considering buying a cheap pack of puppy pads from eBay to try out, anyone else use them? What do you think?

I had used puppy training pads for 3 years for our bunny Timothy's litter tray. A Pad, then carefresh and then hay on top and all was well until three nights ago when Timothy decided to eat the training pad. The bits of training pad stuck in his gut causing GI stasis and the nightmare of nursing him through followed. We nearly lost our wee bunny. The training pads were great, very easy to keep litter trays clean but not worth a bunny's life. I have no idea why he suddenly decided to eat the pads but we'll never use training pads in a bunny litter tray again.

I've used puppy pads under bath towels when nursing a poorly bunny inside. Not sure I would trust them not to rip them up otherwise. The cheapest ones I found were B&M / Pet Hut. Puppy pads can be cut if needed, so a large one can be cut in half.

I use them occasionally, but felt that longterm they are a terrible eco option, plastic and non-compostable, so only use them for travel crates or emergency crates now, or to protect the area under the litter try in case of overshoot (whre they generally last months).
Have you looked at pellets? We've just swapped to straw pellets as wood pellets make Odin snuffle, and they are amazing! Incredibly absorbent, clean, smell quite nice. Very cost effective. Can either use them dry as pellets (in which case put an inch or so in and change a lot less frequently, no smell and stays clean on top), or dampened and expanded as a soft bedding depending on what you prefer.

I use them occasionally, but felt that longterm they are a terrible eco option, plastic and non-compostable, so only use them for travel crates or emergency crates now, or to protect the area under the litter try in case of overshoot (whre they generally last months).
Have you looked at pellets? We've just swapped to straw pellets as wood pellets make Odin snuffle, and they are amazing! Incredibly absorbent, clean, smell quite nice. Very cost effective. Can either use them dry as pellets (in which case put an inch or so in and change a lot less frequently, no smell and stays clean on top), or dampened and expanded as a soft bedding depending on what you prefer.
Where do you get straw pellets from? :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Where do you get straw pellets from? :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

We ordered them from a local pet/equine store, but the agri store had them in too. They are made by the company who make bedmax shavings and hotmax wood fuel, so shouldn't be hard to order in if they don't stock them. Fairly new product I think so less likely to be in normal stock for many places yet, but equestrian stockists should be a good bet.
Really impressed, they are better than wood pellets so far, and incredibly cost efficient.

Back