• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mushroom question

Clare-uk

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I have a big vegetable planter that I grow grass in for extra noms & I noticed over the incredibly wet winter I had some small brown mushrooms growing in there. They have almost gone now the sun is out again but I won't feed them the grass as I'm too worried about the fungi, do I need to remove all dirt & start the planter from fresh or just remove a couple of inches off the top?

I don't see why they can't still eat the grass; mine do and I have mushrooms pop up all over. The rabbits avoid the shrooms as far as I can tell but the grass should be fine as the spores will fall into the ground.

It's very difficult to get rid of shrooms once they've started to grow. I've had a fairy ring in my front lawn for 2-3 years now and can't shift the darned thing. You may need to get rid of the lot and start afresh; to be honest, I don't know. It all depends on how far the spores get buried in the soil I expect.

Thanks Angie. I had a stasis prone bun for nearly 10 yrs so that makes me jumpy over anything unusual. I think I will remove the grass from the planter. Just for piece of mind :) I have a mix of Timothy grass & plantain seeds that should make some nice noms

Back