• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with a terrified bunny??!

catxx

Mama Doe
I'm fostering a pair of rabbit residence bunnies for a few weeks. They came home yesterday. They are a shy pair. One is settling and eating, slowly. The other is completely frozen in terror, has been sitting at the back of the pet carrier in the run after I plucked him from the upstairs bit of the hutch where he'd been all night away from his partner as he was too scared to go back down the ramp.

At a loss what to do! Don't want to pull him about more as he's not eating but might have to force some fibre first in there if he doesn't pick up.

Maybe put a tunnel or cardboard box in front of the carrier with food in it so he could hop from one hidey spot to the other easily?

Is it a biggish hutch? I would close them both in it over night and just open the hatch to the run for a few hours exercise in the day if the other bun wants to pop out. Having his partner close will help and it's only short term. Once they settle hopefully he will gain the confidence to join him. It might also help to block part of the hutch mesh to increased to enclosed feeling space and make sure the food/water is in that sheltered area.

It sounds like he's feeling a bit overwhelmed so getting him comfortable in a smaller secure feeling area is a good first step then he's got somewhere he feels safe to explore from in future.

Thanks guys. I really need a spy cam for these guys!

Poor Snookie was still cowering in his carrier when I popped their breakfast in this morning. His wifebun Nibbles had found her way upstairs. There were loads of poops everywhere and their pellets had gone from the evening. Nibbles is blue and Snookie is white, a few poops had white fur on them so hoping he had come out for a roam during the night!

Am now at work so hopefully he'll go venturing a bit more when there's no one looking.

...anyone recommend a battery powered spy cam? haha!

Back