• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Questions

Ozzy

New Kit
Hello! :wave:
For the past 5 days now I have been trying to bond Ozzy, my 7 month old Netherland Dwarf buck, with a Ruby, a 2 year old Holland Lop doe I took in from someone who was moving and could no longer look after her. Both rabbits are spayed, and have lived around other rabbits in the past. Ozzy originally came into my care because he was housed with another female, but even after neutering he would still relentlessly mount and hump her, and she was not having it and would bite him, so the owner decided to separate them. Ozzy is extremely curious and rambunctious, and has free run of my entire bunny-proofed house. It is fine with human attention, and occasionally asks for it by jumping on to my lap to be pet, but I would not exactly classify him as a "cuddly" bunny. He seems to have endless energy and despises being put stuck in his cage with the door shut (even though his cage is HUGE).

Ruby, is basically the exact opposite of Ozzy. I had not met her before deciding to take her in (which I now fear was a mistake)and knew little about her other than her age and breed, but hoped that her and Ozzy would be a good pair to bond anyways. She is slightly over weight, and although she has since been spayed, has had a litter previously. She rarely leaves her pen to explore the house, and even when her pen door is open, she will still just stay laying in her cage. The only thing she seems to care much about is food. She isn't opposed to being petted when in her cage, but she never asks for human attention and if I try to pet her when she is out of her pen, she runs away from me.

As far as bonding goes, I introduced Ruby to Ozzy in our bathroom. Although this was not technically "neutral territory", it was the best option because Ozzy has free run of our entire home and there was little to retain scent (it's a small room with laminate floors and I removed almost everything I could from the room). Every night I have switched their pens so sometimes they sleep in theirs and other times they sleep in the others. They both seem fine with the pen switching and the pens are both right next to each other. Every time they are together Ozzy cautiously follows Ruby around and then just relentlessly mounts her and pulls out her fur. She is usually fine with this for some time, and I push him off of her when he mounts too frequently, but after a little while she gets tired of it and either mounts him (and he is terrified), or will nip him when he tried to come near. As soon as she starts getting nippy and he won't leave her alone, I separate them. I have been alternatively letting one out of the cage for free time while keeping the other inside, then switching after a bit so they both have lots of opportunity to run around. When Ozzy is out he goes straight to Ruby's pen and stares at her, sometimes even grooming her head through the cage. She occasionally shows interest in him, but rarely. When Ruby is let out she does not acknowledge Ozzy in his pen.

On their dates I have been petting them at the same time, giving them small treats when they are good, and giving them veggies and hay so they will eat together. They are both fine with this. However, Ruby just continually shows absolutely zero interest in Ozzy, when he is absolutely infatuated with humping her. I have never seen her groom him. She does not lay down to relax in front of him and doesn't clean herself on their dates. Normally I would think Ruby being indifferent towards Ozzy would be a good thing, but after 5 days of indifference with multiple dates each day, I am starting to think this is a match that just won't work.

Does anyone have any advice or input for me? Does this sounds like a match up that maybe just won't work?
This sounds extremely horrible but at this point I'm not sure I care enough for Ruby to want her to be bonded to Ozzy as she does not seem to care for anything, or anyone, but food, and this bond does not seem to be going anywhere. The person who gave her to me originally said she still has the ability to take her back if need be, and I'm trying to decide if that is a better option for everyone. If in fact she did bond to Ozzy I would under no circumstances separate them, because I want what's best for him.

Sorry for writing so much! I'd appreciate any help I can get. :D

You don't say how long you left the bunnies together in the bathroom. The best way to bond them is by putting them together and leaving them together (as long as there is no fighting). This way they can sort out their hierarchies and get to know and trust one another. You need to be around for a couple of days to keep an eye on them just in case fighting breaks out.

Rabbits do love their food and it's so easy to overfeed them as they are very convincingly starving. It is sad that the previous owner allowed her to get overweight as this will cause health problems in the future. It also means she has been fed too many pellets and not enough hay but this is something you can rectify, slowly, in order to get her slimmer. Your boy won't have a problem at the minute being 7 months old, but when he gets to a year or so he too could start putting weight on if he is given too many pellets/Muesli. Hay should be the bigger part of their diet.

It would be so nice for your 2 if they learnt to get along as rabbits do benefit from having a friend and I think with time they would settle down together nicely. If you are certain the female is spayed this will make for a more peaceful bond as she won't keep pestering him in the Spring etc.

To slim down a rabbit reduce their food intake gradually.

I have read a lot about bonding and done one bond, so no expert. Ignoring is a good sign though and as Tonibun suggests, putting them together for longer (supervised) will help them to work out their hierarchy and you will get a clearer idea of how things are between them.

It is a good thing that you have the choice with Ruby in case things dont work out but it certainly doesnt sound hopeless from what you have posted. Good luck :D

Their dates were usually 20 minutes because after a little bit I would have to break them up.
But good news! Today I was feeling a little more trusting and had time to stay home and watch them for almost the whole day. They seem to have sorted things out as they have been together now for 5 hours and only one small spat happened, which was resolved pretty easily by just moving them a few feet apart.
Ozzy is definitely still showing much more interest in Ruby than she is in him, but I have seen her clean herself and lay down around him, so I think progress is being made.

Thanks for the replies!

This sounds much more encouraging. It's good in a way that the boy is interested in the female as this is the way it should be. Chasing and a bit of fur pulling is normal for the first few days. Hope it carries on well.

Back